Return to [ 01 | April | 2001 ]

Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 15:49:22 PST
From: Harry Chris Motin <hmotin@attglobal.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Warp Desktop hang

Gary et. al.

Sorry, I've been away for about a week, so I am just now getting to
your message. I notice in your first message on Tuesday, Gary, that you
have a Western digital HDD, which I presume is IDE. I had a hang a
couple of weeks ago, very similar to the one you describe. The problem
turned out to be that I was using the busmastering ON switch with the
1S506.ADD IDE device driver in the CONFIG.SYS file. I had to turn
busmastering OFF and that fixed the problem.

Look for a line such as the following in the CONFIG.SYS:

BASEDEV=IBM1S506.ADD

I assume you are using the IBM IDE driver. If so, the line for the IDE
driver will be as written above. You may have busmastering enabled on
that driver. If so, it will read something like this:

BASEDEV=IBM1S506.ADD /BM

"/BM" is the busmastering ON switch option. Turn OFF busmastering by
using modifying the line like so:

BASEDEV=IBM1S506.ADD /!BM

To use busmastering successfully you need a motherboard that supports it
and a 80 wire IDE cable (not the usual 40 wire cable). If you do not
have the proper hardware and you enabled busmastering, it may cause your
system to hang on bootup, like you discribe.

Try that and let me know how it goes.

Harry Motin

Gary Wong wrote:

> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
> Will try it. Did you (Steven) get my phone message where I said taking out WarpCenter from SET
> AUTOSTART= didn't work? Also, per Jerry's suggestion, I tried to run CHECKINI from a command prompt
> (Alt-F1, then F2), but after it read the diskette where I had CHECKINI, again the machine hung.
>
> Will post CONFIG.SYS at a later time.
>
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 14:16:15 PST, Steven Levine wrote:
>
> >=====================================================
> >If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> >may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> >REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
> >=====================================================
> >
> >In <200103270715.0943758.6@scoug.com>, on 03/27/01
> > at 07:15 AM, "Gary Wong" said:
> >

> >>Even after taking out Warp Center from SET AUTOSTART= in CONFIG.SYS, the
> >>problem still persists. Switching video cards from a Matrox MGA to a
> >>Diamond Stealth64 Video 2001 has no difference (also it is currently set
> >>to plain VGA). Taking out a 3COM 3C905B-TXNM also did not make a
> >>difference (also I set MPTS to "No Network Adapter" as I do not have DSL
> >>nor cable modem service at home).
> >
> >Try turning off AUTOSTART=CONNECTIONS, if it's on. You might want to post
> >your config.sys for review.
> >
> >Steven
> >

> >--

Return to [ 01 | April | 2001 ]