Return to [ 03 | August | 2002 ]

Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 09:06:19 PST7
From: "Info2SYNass.NET" <Info@SYNass.NET >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: Drive Image Backups

Hello Harry
Your conclusion addressed to Sandy is very interesting for me too
... especially since my last important backup to tape failed ;-(

Your comments makes me reconsidering BA again and stop
with my logn yeas used Sytos Premium to be able using
HDD's as media.

Well, I will come back to this topic if I am ready ;-)

Thanks and have a nice weekend,
svobi

hmotin@attglobal.net on 03.08.2002 16.51.56
Please respond to scoug-help@scoug.com
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
cc:

Sandy,
I am responding to several of the issues you raised here. My
below, may be a repeat of what I and others have said before, but
think that its important:

1. Your history of how you made backups follows mine pretty
closely. I
started with a tape drive and BackMaster. I agree with you that
the
tapes wear out after 1 or 2 years. After that the tape drive goes
south!
Also, backing up to tapes is slooooow!

2. Later, I switched to Back Again 2000 and the Iomega 1GB Jaz
drive.
That was pretty good. The Jaz drive was almost as fast as a
dedicated
hard drive. However, the Jaz drive disks and drives unit were
expensive.
After about 2 years the drive unit stopped working. It was too
expensive
to repair or replace, compared to a dedicated hard drive.

3. Now I use Back Again 2000 and a hard drive. And that is
primarily
why I'm writing. I don't understand your comment, below, that
Back Again
2000 does not work as smoothly with hard drives as it does tapes.
believe that it does, because that's how I use it. You can
designate a
specific hard drive as your backup unit, just like you do for a
tape
unit. Hard drives are cheap and the fastest backup choice. If
it's big
enough in size, you can save several backup generations before
erasing.
You can even configure your system with removable hard drives,
use them
for backups and then remove them for storage elsewhere. That's the
ultimate in speed, cost, convenience and safety, I think!

As Steven has previously stated, you can use Back Again 2000
and its
commandline interface, a REXX script and hard drives to backup
your
system in an automated fashion. The script should accept your
input for
the name of each backup file, *.DAT, that you want to create. The
script
should automatically put the date in as part of the filename. You
can
have the script present you with a menu choice for selecting the
name of
each backup file.

You can easily overcome the 2.1GB file limit, when backing up
to a
HPFS-formatted hard drive. Do the following:

A. Use full compression in your backups
B. Save each backup to its own *.DAT file
C. Break up your full system backup into 2 or more smaller
ones.
Place all the essential OS/2 system files and apps on one backup,
so
that you can use it to successufully recover from a full crash.
Place
the other, non-essential stuff on the other *.DAT files

Hope this helps!

HCM
____________

Sandy Shapiro wrote:

> I have been following the discussion in this thread with great
interest.

> I have been using tapes for backups for many years -- first with
> Backmaster for OS/2, and more recently with BackAgain 2000. I
like being
> able to boot from a floppy and restore a single file from a
tape on those
> occasions when I really screw up.
>
> The problem with tape is that after about one year, the tapes
become
> unreliable, and after about two years, the tape drives become
unreliable.

> I am intrigued by the idea of using removable hard drives
instead of
> tapes. I did some experimenting with BackAgain 2000, and that
is a
> possible solution. But BA 2K doesn't work as smoothly with hard
drives as
> it does with tapes.
>
> I would like to know what other software solutions people have
found where
> you can back up to a hard drive under OS/2 using compression
and can
> restore a single file, when necessary.
>
> Thanks,
> Sandy