Return to [ 04 | August | 2002 ]

Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 08:09:35 PST7
From: "Info2SYNass.NET" <Info@SYNass.NET >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: Your REXX script ...

Hi Harry
Thank you very much for your cooperating reply ;-)
You are faster than the police allows ;-))

Your answer is very close to my idea but I have to explain
something more:
Your script just "as is" needs multiple entries to add i.e. my
drives H-L !
My intention is to simplify your backup, compare and controlling
slope ...
... just do the same as now but use PARMS for standard settings
i.e.
Drives, Souces & Target !

This is also a benefit for your script: I do not manipulate with
the sloop
sensitive part of the script but I must adjust environment
settings accordingly
to my system and my needs once and only if my system environments
changes ;-)

> 1. Automatically found all the partitions (drives) on your
system

Let's say "half" automatic:
As mentioned above, before I use your new version I must set my
system environment like following

"PARM DRIVE"

%Drive_$=all
this means all partitions accordingly to all listed drives (C to
on my present system) ?!? I do not have an idea how to name yet !!

%Drive_C=C
%Drive_D=D
%Drive_E=E
%Drive_F=F
%Drive_G=G
%Drive_H=H
%Drive_I=I
%Drive_K=K
%Drive_L=L

Backups are wanted from each of these drives or with PARM=DRIVE_$
from
all listed drives (systemwide full backup, here except J:) ?!

> 2. Presented you with a listing of those partitions for you to
select
> one for backing up. You would select the one you wanted

"PARM SOURCE"

Yes, according to the "PARM Drive" standard settings I would like
to get
offered a selection of the standard source destinations i.e like:

"Your sources are: $, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, K, L or type an exact
path !"

possibly with a path to select i.e. H:\AOS\Notes out from drive
H: only !?

> 3. Again presented you with with a listing of your partitions
for you
> to select one as the target for receiving the backup file. You
would
> select one of them.

"PARM TARGET"

Yes, accordingly to the "PARM=%TARGET default settings I get
offered:

"Your target is: J:\BA2\DATs or type an exact path !"

With overridding the preset target I am able to redirect a
specific
backup to a specific target i.e. my MO drive, M: !!

>Therefore, everytime you did a backup, you would save it as a
>different *.dat file, I presume.

If there is a "PARM=%DAT_ID" I would set a preset default value
but also keep it overriddable too.

> You would not save multiple backups to the same *.dat file
container,
> like Sandy does.

Well, I also would.
If I do a regular backup from any of the sources to the preset
target,
it's the same way like Sandy does !

> 4. Based on your 2 selections, above, performed the backup,
using
> clback.exe

Exact:
I get displayed my preset source drive letters to choose from or
type a specific path !
I get displayed my preset target: J:\BA2\DATs or do type a
specific path !

The rest of your script works like now ;-)

I hope you can recognize my idea and intentions even with my
"Swiss-German-English"
Please do ask if my expressions are not clear or proper !
Once again, thanks a lot and hope it's not a burden !?

Regards, svobi

hmotin@attglobal.net on 04.08.2002 14.55.12
Please respond to scoug-help@scoug.com
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
cc:

svobi,
I'm glad the script works for you fairly well on your system. It's
always a question as to whether or not I debugged it properly, or
if
there are some differences on other systems that will cause a
problem.

Let me see if I have your questions/requests correct. If the
script did
the following, would this be OK for you?:

1. Automatically found all the partitions (drives) on your system

2. Presented you with a listing of those partitions for you to
select
one for backing up. You would select the one you wanted

3. Again presented you with with a listing of your partitions
for you
to select one as the target for receiving the backup file. You
would
select one of them. Therefore, everytime you did a backup, you
would
save it as a different *.dat file, I presume. You would not save
multiple backups to the same *.dat file container, like Sandy does

4. Based on your 2 selections, above, performed the backup, using
clback.exe

Is that what you would like? Please reply. If it's what you want,
I'll
have to complete it later on today. If not, please explain it
again to
me. Thanks.

HCM
____________

"Info2SYNass.NET" wrote:

> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
> ... is working already on my system ;-)
>
> Hello Harry
> Thanks and compliments to your work ;-))
>
> However I was modifying / working first time with a REXX script
> ... I got my additonal partitions added properly and the first
> sets
> of compared backups are on a free partition now ;-)))
>
> I do have 2 questions:
>
> 1)
> How do I add the entry of a full all partitons (C: to L:)
backup ?

> 2)
> Your script has its structure and works: OK !
>
> If I have more partitons than your script offers I need to add
> some more multiple entries for these additional partitions !?
>
> I would like to set the partitons as a "PARM" end then lets
> the script do the backup & compare task plus your control
> functions !?
>
> My idea:
> ------------
> PARM=%Source /* Source can be a drive letter OR changeable
for a
> specific purpose
> PARM=%Target /* Target is a preset destination path OR
changeable
> for a specific purpose
> PARM=%Drive_C /* Listing of existing drives / partitions
> PARM=%Drive_D /* Listing of existing drives / partitions
> PARM=%Drive_E /* Listing of existing drives / partitions
> PARM=%Drive_F /* Listing of existing drives / partitions
> PARM=%Drive_G /* Listing of existing drives / partitions
> PARM=%Drive_H /* Listing of existing drives / partitions
> PARM=%Drive_I /* Listing of existing drives / partitions
> PARM=%Drive_K /* Listing of existing drives / partitions
> PARM=%Drive_L /* Listing of existing drives / partitions
>
> One single slope only for the control functions
> One single slope only for backup
> One single slope only for compare
> ------------
>
> With the script modified like this I have to set only once my
> PARMS i.e.
> Source, Target and Drives and I do not need any modifications in
> the
> script itself !
>
> If I have set the PARMS correctly the script will serve my
system
> environment perfectly ;-))
>
> If I would be able I would modify it like my thoughts ...
> ... but since I have absolutely no experience with REXX ...
> ... I need assistance !
>
> How are your thoughts about my idea ?
>
> Kind regards, svobi

Return to [ 04 | August | 2002 ]