Return to [ 30 | August | 2002 ]

Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 15:00:38 PST7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: WebExplorer default browser ? -solved-

In <3D6FEB30.76A4@peterskye.com>, on 08/30/02
at 02:03 PM, Peter Skye said:

>Finally got it working. EXPLORE.EXE (WebExplorer) is self-contained and
>doesn't need to be run from its home directory *but* all the other
>browsers *do* need to be run from their home directories.

That's not quite it. The DLL's need to be available via LIBPATH. Since
most LIBPATH's contain a reference to the current directory (i.e. '.'),
starting the app from the current directory will work. If you add the
home directory to LIBPATH, you will be able to run the app from any
directory. If you remove the '.' from LIBPATH, you won't even be able to
run the app from the home directory.

For example, using my install locations:

set beginlibpath=d:\internet\mozilla\bin
cd \
d:\internet\mozilla\bin\mozilla

will start Mozilla without problems since it has the effect of making the
DLL's available via LIBPATH.

>So I also had to update the Working Directory field on the Properties
>Browser page and then click Set Default. I didn't set this originally
>because I saw that WebExplorer didn't have it set.

Yes, that's another option.

>Thanks for the help on this. I think there's a call that returns the
>complete path of a running executable so it can determine where it loaded
>from, but obviously Mozilla and its friends aren't doing this.

No, that's not the problem. See above. The applications do query and use
the home directory. However, this is ineffective when the application is
linked to DLL's in the home directory. When the loader can't find the
DLL's the app will not load.

Steven

Return to [ 30 | August | 2002 ]