Return to [ 30 | August | 2002 ]

Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 02:12:07 PST7
From: Peter Skye <pskye@peterskye.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: WebExplorer default browser ?

Steven Levine wrote:

> Open the properties notebook of the documentation
> objects and point at your favorite browser.

Okay, I see the field now -- the Browser tab. But *why* did each object
install with EXPLORE.EXE in this field? There must be a system-wide
setting somewhere which caused this since Sundial says they didn't do
it.

> It's your system. You should know why.
> Add the associations to the Program objects.

Well I don't know why. This is default stuff from somewhere or other.

There *aren't* any associations set for any of the browser executables
(Netscape 2.02 & 4.61, Mozilla, Opera, WebExplorer) or their
corresponding objects. The URL objects picked up EXPLORE.EXE apparently
when the Junk Spy installer created them.

The browsers won't take the URL objects. I can't even drag the URL
objects and drop them onto Opera or Mozilla -- there's no response. If
I drag and drop onto Netscape 4.61 there's an error message "not found".

> >What setting makes WebExplorer the default
> >for UniformResourceLocator objects? Once
> >I know the setting, I can change it.
>
> See above.

Steven, I don't see it. I installed Junk Spy which created these
UniformResourceLocator objects and Sundial says they didn't specify the
Browser field value. The Browser value shown in the Properties is
EXPLORE.EXE which is in \tcpip\bin\, and the properties for EXPLORE.EXE
don't have any associations.

I'll check back with Sundial. Maybe they know.

- Peter

Return to [ 30 | August | 2002 ]