Return to [ 03 | August | 2002 ]

Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 08:56:19 PST7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Installing new version of ZTBold

6
This is a MIME encapsulated message.

Content Type: text/plain

In
<20020803045654.KQHH8052.mtiwmhc21.worldnet.att.net@mailhost.worldnet.att.net>,
on 08/02/02
at 08:57 PM, jack.huffman@worldnet.att.net said:

>I understand that some programs are self contained, i.e. the ini file is
>in the folder with the program files and no entries except the desktop
>object appear in os2.ini and/or os2sys.ini. But why doesn't unzipping
>ZTB
> v. 1.80 from an os/2 window create a second icon in my Utilities folder
>where there was a ZTB icon before, in some other folder, or on the
>desktop?

Don't confuse icons with objects. They are not the same thing. Then
when thinking about objects, remember that the WPS is object oriented and
supports multiple object types. When you unzip files into a directory,
the result is File Objects. You can open (i.e. run) them and shadow them
just like most other objects. However, the installers for most
applications will create additional objects. Usage a Desktop Folder
object and Program Object and so on. These might created on Desktop or in
a folder accessible from the Desktop.

A Program Object is a reference to an executable program and is not the
same thing as a File Object. To see the difference open up the properties
notebook for a File Object and for a Program Object. The notebook pages
are very different because the objects have different characteristics.

This is not the case with Folders and directories. These are different
names for the same thing. I tend to refer to directories that are
subdirectories of the Desktop as folders while referring to all other
directories as just directories.

The Desktop Utilities folder you mention typically contains Program
Objects. Unzipping the .zip file to some directory elsewhere on the drive
is not going to create a Program Object in the Utilities Folder. What it
will do, as you have seen, is create File Objects in the destination
directory.

>After unzipping v 1.80 in the directory that previously held 1.76b, there
>were 4 new files and 4 files they obviously replaced based on the names
>(history.txt/history.doc) and dates of the files. Obviously I deleted
>the old ones. But could I have deleted all the files in the directory
>containing 1.76b, unzipped v. 1.80 in a another directory, and copied the
>latter files into the empty directory? Or would deleting ztb.exe have
>resulted in the destruction of the icon I have somewhere and shadow I
>have in Warp Center?

Probably. If it was a shadow of the File Object, it would have show up as
the broken shodow icon. If it was a Program Object, if would display the
default program icon that looks like a blank program flowchart element to
those of us that used to do flowcharts.

>In the case of EZirc, I have a directory containing all of the necessary
>files. (I know this is true because I have gotten to the last two
>Wednesday night sessions from the command line and used the software.)
>There is an EZirc sub-directory in my Connections directory. It contains
>the EZirc help file but no icon for the program itself.

I suspect you are trying to say that the EzIRC Folder in the Connections
Folder is the one that EzIRC's setup.cmd created. This will contain only
objects. The other directory(i.e. \Internet\EzIRC or whatever you called
it) contains the File Objects.

>EZirc installation is via a REXX script, setup.cmd. It apparently
>unpacks a zip file containing all of the files, so the replace, etc.
>option for each unzipped file provides control over what files are
>overwritten. Will running the install program simply add the program

Setup.cmd does several things. It:

- unzips the application files to the application directory
- configures ezirc.ini
- creates the EzIRC Desktop folder and Program Objects

>icon to the existing EZIrc folder or the desktop? Or will it create
>another EZirc folder containing the program icon and the help file? Why?

It should just update the Program Objects in the EzIRC folder because the
SysCreateObject calls provide explicit Object handles. I'm pretty sure
the default action is to update existing objects. You'll have to test
this for me because I'm not 100% sure of all this. :-)

If you rerun setup.cmd, be sure to save a copy of ezirc.ini before running
setup.cmd and restore it afterward. Otherwise, you will lose your
settings.

> If SysCreateObject("WPFolder","EZirc for Os/2
>","","OBJECTID=") then
> do
> If SysCreateObject("WPProgram", "EZirc",
>"","EXENAME="exename";STARTUPDIR="dir";PROGTYPE=PM") Then
> do
> Say ' Folder and program objects have been created'
> url1 = 'file:///'docs
> rc = SysCreateObject( 'WPUrl', 'EZirc Manual',
>'', 'OBJECTID=;URL='url1';', 'replace' )
> end
> Else
> Say ' * Could not create program object'
> End
> Else
> Say ' * Could not create folder '

This is the code that creates the Desktop folder, the EzIRC Program Object
and the EzIRC manual URL Object.

The problem you are seeing where the EzIRC Program Object is a problem I
have seen before. IIRC, there's a subtle error in the install script, but
I forget exactly what it was. The result is the Program Object gets
corrupted. Try the attached. It's a modified version of setup.cmd which
only recreates the Desktop objects. Run it from the directory where you
unzipped the EzIRC files.

Alternatively, you can fix the Program Object by hand. Just open the
properties notebook and use the Find button to locate the EzIRC.exe FIle
Object and replace the reference.

Steven

"Steven Levine" MR2/ICE 2.31a #10183 Warp4/FP15/14.085_W4
www.scoug.com irc.webbnet.org #scoug (Wed 7pm PST)

Content Type: application/octet-stream

File attachment: setup2.cmd

Return to [ 03 | August | 2002 ]