Return to [ 03 | August | 2002 ]

Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 18:43:20 PST7
From: Harry Chris Motin <hmotin@attglobal.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: Drive Image Backups

Sandy,

One thing I forgot to say. The script searches for the latest updated
*.dat file on your H:\. Therefore, if you are backing up your C:\, you
may have, say, 4 different backups on H:\ for C:\. These backups might
be cfull1.dat, cfull2.dat, cfull3.dat and cfull4.dat. Maybe you made
cfull1.dat first and continued to use it until you reached the 2.1GB
limit. Then, you created cfull2.dat and used it until full, etc. Now you
are on cfull4.dat and using that one. Obviously, the dates on these
files will read from the earliest to the latest going from cfull1.dat to
cfull2.dat to cfull3.dat and finally to cfull4.dat. Obviously, the
latest file, cfull4.dat, the one with the latest date, is the one that
you are now using for C:\ backups. The program ignores all the other
files except cfull4.dat and presents only that one to you as the file
that it found containing C:\ backups. OK? Understand?

HCM

Harry Chris Motin wrote:

> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
> Sandy,
>
> What I mean here is that when you make a single backup of your C:\
> drive, for example, the resulting cfull*.dat file is how big?? Your C:\
> drive is so big and that results in a backup *.dat file that is so big.
> What is this size for everytime you backup C:\, similarly for D:\, etc.
>
> Earlier you told me that you could backup your D:\ drive 5 times before
> you approached the 2.1GB limit. From that I surmised that your
> dfull*.dat file increases in size by 2.1GB/5 each time = 450971566
> bytes. Now, as you put more the stuff on your different drives, or
> conversely do some cleaning, the values for "CMaxSize", "DMaxSize",
> "ECMaxSize", etc. should be updated.
>
> Like I said, I hope that there are no bugs in the code that I wrote. But
> I cannot be sure. Let me know, if you have any problems.
> HCM

> Sandy Shapiro wrote:

> > If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> > may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> > REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
> >
> > >The attached REXX script for automating you use of clback.exe may be
> > >useful to you.
> >
> > Harry,
> > This is terrific. I am going to get right on it -- I think I can figure
> > this out. And it will help me better understand REXX.
> >
> > I have one question right at the start:
> >
> > >9. In order for the program to correctly determine whether or not an
> > >existing backup file can receive another backup, it has to know the
> > >maximum size of you 5 different backups. You must supply that information
> > >on lines 31 through 35 of the script. You must change the values of the
> > >"CMaxSize", "DMaxSize", "ECMaxSize", "FMaxSize" and "GMaxSize" variables
> > >to the maximum sizes, in bytes, of your C:\, D:\, E:\, F:\ and G:\
> > >backups, respectively. Right now these variables are each equal to zero.
> > >For example, you mentioned that you can get 5 of the D:\ backups into its
> > >*.dat backup file container before you reach the 2.1GB limit. I assume
> > >that your D:\ backup is the largest. Therefore, perhaps each D:\ backup
> > >is a maximum of 2254857830/5 = 450971566 bytes in size (450971566 bytes =
> > >2.1GB/5). If so, then that is the number you place on line 32 of the REXX
> > >script. Remove the 0 and replace it with 450971566.
> >
> > If each partition is backed up in a separate file, wouldn't the maximum
> > size for each backup be 2.1 GB? That is, wouldn't the MaxSize for each
> > backup be 2254857830?
> >
> > I just got a bunch of 9.1 GB SCSI hard drives from Upgrade Solution. They
> > are the same size as my tapes, and I will fill them up and rotate them
> > just like I was doing with my tapes. With compression, I should be able to
> > get close to 20 GB on each hard drive. With my setup, that is about a
> > month's worth of data.

> [...]

Return to [ 03 | August | 2002 ]