Return to [ 04 | August | 2002 ]

Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 16:41:58 PST7
From: jack.huffman@worldnet.att.net
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: install suggestions

In <3D4C435B.C7D686FB@pacbell.net>, on 08/03/2002
at 11:55 AM, "J. R. Fox" said:

>Jack Huffman wrote:

>> Your reply and Jordan Fox's recommendation that I reinstall Ezirc over the
>> existing copy to get a new icon with the missing file and other properties
>> set me to thinking.

>You must have me confused with someone else: I've never IRC'd in my life
>! I'm the one who "complains a lot" ( _someone_ has to pick up the slack
>when the Duck is not available . . . . ).

My problem with EZirc turned out to be a bug in the install.cmd program
according to Steven. He sent me a script (I assume, I haven't looked at
it) which he says will install the object I need.

>Anyway, I just recently found out that Mozilla is supposed to have some
>sort of IRC feature built-in. If it's any good, perhaps that could be
>all you need ?

I haven't tried Mozilla since I hit the help button and got a full screen
that I could get rid of only by rebooting. I have since dug through Warp
Unleashed to find the keystrokes to resize a screen and am going to try it
again. When I do, I will look for the internet chat feature. Thanks for
the tip.

>In regard to ZTree, my experience has been that the *easiest* way to
>update it -- on either the OS/2 platform or the Win-32 one, where I use
>it also -- is from a Maintenance Partition for that platform. Doing this
>cross-border like that avoids the files-in-use thing, and is one-step
>straightforward. It's a way to use your familiar file-manager to update
>itself, which is otherwise not possible. You can also move the prior
>version files into a backup archive or directory, while you're at it,
>just in case you have some issue with the new versions. Right now, I'm
>running 1.94a only in my ECS partition, where it is doing a few weird and
>flakey things. I'm going to try the Keyboard logging thing that Steven
>suggested, but if there was some issue attributable to my keyboard, I'm
>wondering why it never manifested with any previous version of ZTree . .
>. and I've tried the great majority of them as they came out.

>Jordan

I discovered the necessity of not using ZTBold to unzip v. 1.94a. It
would not replace the ztb.exe file. So I shut ztb down and unzipped it
via the command line; that replaced the exe file. But thanks for the tip
anyway.

Jack

Return to [ 04 | August | 2002 ]