Return to [ 30 | August | 2002 ]

Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 09:56:29 PST7
From: Peter Skye <pskye@peterskye.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: WebExplorer default browser ?

Steven Levine wrote:

> Remember the get Netscape object?

No. But maybe I never used it, which might be why my URL objects are
pointed at WebExplorer.

> It's the Set Default button on the Browser page.

I see that now, although the Help screen says that Set Default overrides
the system default value rather than changing the system default value.
I'll test this and see what happens. [Test, run below, apparently shows
that Set Default does actually change the system default value and the
Help screen is misleading.]

> >There *aren't* any associations set for any of the browser executables
> >(Netscape 2.02 & 4.61, Mozilla, Opera, WebExplorer) or their
>
> Where are you looking? The File Objects will
> typically not have associations assigned. The
> Program Objects should have associations assigned.

The Program objects have no associations assigned.

> If they are gone now this might be a result of
> the on going WPS problems you used to have.

Something is weird somewhere. "Plain Text" type files, for example,
give me the option of opening them in Netscape 2.02 and Netscape 4.61,
but neither of these browsers has any associations set. Mozilla and
Opera similarly have no associations set, but they aren't shown as Open
As options.

I'd love to know where (and under what key) these associations are
stored so I can look at the same database that the WPS looks at and see
how they are set.

> The associations are dynamic. You should see a change to the
> Open menu as soon as you change the association setups.

Correct. What started this whole problem was that I didn't know that
URL objects had a separate Browser setting. I just tested and, if you
set the Association for a browser other than the default EXPLORE.EXE
(for example, set Mozilla so UniformResourceLocator objects are
associated to it) then the Browser setting in the object (in my case
it's EXPLORE.EXE) is *not* available on the Open As menu any more!
Apparently the Associations *override* the Browser setting, which
doesn't make any sense to me at all.

By chance is the Browser page in a URL object's properties simply an
instance of some master Browser page somewhere? Hey! Let me change the
Browser value to StevenLevineBrowser and then click on Set Default, and
*then* run Seek & Scan Files and see where it shows up!

Seeking & Scanning . . .

Okay, StevenLevineBrowser is stored somewhere in OS2.INI. So that's
where the master setting is.

Steven, do you know of a utility which will scan an INI file and tell
you what Application:Key it finds a string in? That would make it real
easy to locate this master Browser setting and possibly shed some light
on what app owns it.

> >The browsers won't take the URL objects. I can't even drag
>
> That's odd. Check the properties.
> The parameters fields should be empty.

All the browsers have empty parameter fields. I remember that years ago
I couldn't drag & drop urls to browsers so this has been a problem here
for a long time.

> Junksky

:))

Thanks for all your help on this.