Return to [ 15 | August | 2002 ]

Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 12:43:00 PST7
From: jack.huffman@worldnet.att.net
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Firewalls

I was reading through old messages I had skipped and came across one about
Peter Skye's experience with hackers. The other night I was trying to
pass credit card info to a company in Artesia when a company that
certifies the security of the Artesia firm's server said the site name on
the encryption certificate was not that of the site from which I was
ordering and someone might be, but was unlikely to be, trying to get my
credit card number. I got out of the web site pdq.

First question, is Southern California a hotbed of hackers?

Second question, how good is the firewall of Injoy 2.3? It is not ICSA
certified like Sonicwall and Barricade if that means anything since they
are hardware + software products. I have not installed the in-joy
software firewall but could.

More questions. Worldnet.att.net assigns a different address to my box
every time I log on. Is that any protection? Or does a good hacker leave
a routine that calls him and gives him/her my new address? Even so, why
would anyone even think of doing that when I am a low power user, on line
only a few hours each day or every other day, with a changing address,
frequently am disconnected when In-joy times out, and turn off the power
to my box when I leave it?

Better yet, do I even need a firewall?

TIA for your comments.

Jack