Return to [ 24 | February | 2002 ]

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 23:14:34 PST7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Memory for SimTown/2

6
This is a MIME encapsulated message.

Content Type: text/plain

In <20020224113846.SM01384@66-81-21-171-modem.o1.com>, on 02/24/02
at 11:39 AM, Michael Rakijas said:

>Yeah, I see that now that I've deciphered how to read the table.
>Thinking about it, I would have transposed the elements so that the
>process would read correctly (horizontally) and you'd have a horizontal

True. It's probably a programmer thing. It's easier to generate
vertically. Scaling would be a problem though.

>bar graph rendering. Oh well. Anyway, I read that SSAVER takes 2A00000
>memory. Am I reading this right? Are we really talking about 42 MB?
>Yikes! I like it pretty well through all the machines in the house

Yes, but it's not quite as bad as it sounds. This is private address
space. It does not take away from address space available to other
applications. Only shared memory does that.

>dump (zipped) after having tried to run SimTown. (again, apologies folks
>for the enclosure but it's even smaller this time). If I've done
>something wrong, let me know how to do it right.

No, it's fine. It's got information I would have had to ask for to set up
a more appropriate set of tracepoints.

Use the attached.

Run SimTownTrc.cmd first to configure the trace. Check line 14 and make
sure I've got the names and locations correct.

After that run TraceCtl.cmd. This a generic trace control assistant. It
makes it easy to pause and resume the trace. With the trace resumed, try
to start Simtown/2. When it fails, pause the trace and recapture the
buffer. This will give me something interesting to look at. We'll add
more tracepoints if this is not enough.

>I shut down the first two but could not find anything resembling PPM2MON
>in the task list. Could that have been running only when I sent out the

It's a detached process. Use pstat to see it.

>Theseus run?

Possible, but I don't think so.

Steven

"Steven Levine" MR2/ICE 2.31a #10183 Warp4/FP15/14.085_W4
www.scoug.com irc.webbnet.org #scoug (Wed 7pm PST)

Content Type: application/octet-stream

File attachment: SimTownTrc.cmd

Content Type: application/octet-stream