Return to [ 18 | February | 2002 ]

Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 19:24:48 PST7
From: Steve Carter <scarter@vcnet.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Any limitation on hard drive size ?

On 2/18/02, Peter Skye wrote, in part:

>It's time for me to buy some more hard drives.
>There are IDE (EIDE?) drives available in 160 GB and 120 GB sizes.
>
>-- Are there any drive size limitations for machines running Warp 4 FP10?
>I'm using the latest idedasd.exe plus daniS506.add.
>-- Any considerations for the motherboard connection or BIOS?

There's an [E]IDE BIOS limit around 137 GB, but it may not apply if
you're accessing the drive directly (once you're booted) in Warp.
Depending on the age of the BIOS, if they're not bootable,
you're probably OK. If they're bootable, you'll have to
accommodate your machine's BIOS limitations.

Some Award 4.51? BIOSes had a problem around 33-34GB,
but a flash update is usually available. No reason not to flash
your older BIOSes before the update falls off the web.

>-- Any cable considerations?

If you have ATA66 or greater controller, you need the 80-pin
cable only to operate at the higher transfer rates. The 40-pin
standard IDE cable will still work, just at ATA33 transfer rates.
I'm using an ATA100 drive on an older EPOX MB (that I really like),
but which has only ATA33. I use the standard IDE 40-pin cable
and all is OK. It is backward compatible.

>-- The manufacturers appear to be IBM, Maxtor and Western Digital.
>Any preference as to manufacturer?

I'm with Steven on this (IBM and Quantum), but there are other good
manufacturers too. http://www.driveservice.com/bestwrst.htm
I will pay a little more for the IBM and the peace-of-mind.
Vote with your wallet. In the end, it may not really matter.

>(Lurkers: 160 GB drives are around $246 for 5400rpm Maxtor,
>( 120 GB are $184 for 5400rpm and $208 for 7200rpm.) >- Peter

5400 RPM drives aren't as slow as the relative ratio between
7200 RPM would indicate. And they're cooler and quieter.
Might even be more reliable because the technology is more mature.
Though I expect that the manufacturer and sample-to-sample
variations would swamp out that effect for most of us.

Return to [ 18 | February | 2002 ]