Return to [ 18 | February | 2002 ]

Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 20:52:25 PST7
From: xowatson@concentric.net
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Any limitation on hard drive size ?

On 18 Feb 2002 at 17:23, Peter Skye wrote:
> -- Any considerations for the motherboard connection or BIOS?
> -- Any cable considerations?
> -- The manufacturers appear to be IBM, Maxtor and Western Digital. Any
> preference as to manufacturer?

I have 3 dead drives I've changed for ladies in the office in the past
year. Two Quantums from HP, one WD from IBM. A Maxtor in an
office machine started squealing last week. Mostly I've found them
all to be fairly reliable. The drives, that is, not the ladies.

Your board and cable need to be rated for the faster speeds, usually
100 mhz, as well as the size. If your board doesn't spec ATA100,
I've seen IDE cards fairly cheap, though PCI speed is 33 mhz, so I
don't know what you gain. Or upgrade your board. Like Steve said,
you can usually upgrade the BIOS. But not the speed. A fast disk
system is really impressive if you do any disk intensive work. But it
has to be end to end, or the throughput chokes to the slowest
component - disk, bus or cable.

I got a 60 gig ATA100 (aka UDMA100) recently, put it in a year old
ATA33 system and the BIOS said it's only 8 gigs. The drive has a
jumper for 34 gigs, I put that on and the BIOS now sees my 60 gig
drive as 34 gigs. Progress. Went to the web site in Taiwan, no joy.
Emailed them, they emailed me back with a BIOS flash, now I have
the full 60 gigs. Numerous descriptions on the web of why various
BIOS see different views of different disks. Fascinating, but makes
my head hurt something awful.

Return to [ 18 | February | 2002 ]