Return to [ 06 | January | 2002 ]

Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 17:05:29 PST7
From: "Benedict G. Archer" <bgarcher@gte.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: trap on shutdown

Did quite a bit of looking before posting my question, but with a little
more found an October thread in the support newsgroup, "Test fix for
peer failure under SMP" Apparently, Peer doesn't work with SMP because,
until eCS Pro, the only place SMP was used was for real LANs. The
newslist gave a link to a testcase file which has apparently been
removed now. But I've downloaded the zip files that are there. Maybe
one will be an update. At least the cause of the problem has probably
been identified. The offending file is netwksta.200, which is part of
the installable netbios network file system?

"Benedict G. Archer" wrote:

> eCS Pro on a dual processor system (1.2 GHz Athlons) with the smp1026
> kernel (14.085_smp) seems OK except for a reproducible trap E on
> shutdown. The trap does not occur if I shutdown without ever logging
> on, but occurs if I have logged on, but also logged off before shutting
> down. I think the same traps occurred with kernel 14.062_smp too.)
> Also traps (may be same or different) with a NET STOP PEER command. I
> have installed the three tcp/ip fixes on eCS CD3. syslevel shows:
> tcp/ip stack wr8701
> tcp/ip un2200
> peer ip08603
> lan adapter/protocol services wr8701
> the dump screen lists module NETWKSTA, and from the dump facility I see
> PEER in a short table of register values followed by an "invalid linear
> address" entry.
>
> The latest peer fixpak I find is 85xx--considerably earlier than what I
> have?
>
> I've just discovered that installing eCS pro from CD2 does not install
> the smp kernel, so this install is from CD1. eCS pro in another
> partition on the same machine (installed from CD2) with the 1026 kernel
> (14.085_W4) doesn't have this problem. Is this the wrong kernel?
> Shouldn't it be 14.085_uni? all the other syslevels are the same.

Return to [ 06 | January | 2002 ]