Return to [ 16 | January | 2002 ]

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 20:08:10 PST7
From: Harry Chris Motin <hmotin@attglobal.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: OS/2 16 bit versus 32 bit applications

OK! Here's what I'm doing: I'm using both the commandline environment
and the IDE to separately compile and link a simple C source file,
C:\WATCOM\SRC\hello.c. Basically, I'm following the instructions in the
following 2 chapters of the Watcom C/C++ Programmer's Guide:

1. 16-bit OS/2: Creating 16-bit OS/2 1.x Applications
2. 32-bit OS/2: Creating 32-bit OS/2 Applications

I successfully created the 32 bit hello.exe application, which simply
places "Hello World" on the commandline. I used the commandline commands
to compile and link. I then repeated everything, using the IDE.

When I tried to do the same thing, except create a 16-bit application,
instead of a 32-bit application, I got the os2.lib error.

I've done a scan of my system. The word, "os2.lib", exists in the
following 3 files:

1. C:\WATCOM\BINP\HELP\cmix.inf
2. C:\WATCOM\BINP\HELP\pguide.inf
3. C:\WATCOM\BINW\wlsystem.lnk

Attached please find a copy of the C:\WATCOM\BINW\wlsystem.lnk file.
Should I change the reference in that file to os2286.lib? Another
alternative might be to copy an os2286.lib file and rename the copy to
os2.lib??

HCMotin

Steven Levine wrote:

> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
> In <3C44C9A5.A2374AE5@attglobal.net>, on 01/15/02
> at 07:30 PM, Harry Chris Motin said:
>
> >that the 16 bit linker is looking for os2.lib. There is nothing in the
> >source file. Therefore, it's hard coded into the linker, unless there's a
> >configuration file, or an options selection I can make??
>
> It's not hard coded. Somewhere there is a .lrf file or something like
> that. Often it gets built dynamically by the makefile.
>
> Here's an example from one of the ddk makefiles:
>
> $(NAME).lrf: makefile
> @%write $^@ system os2 dll
> @%write $^@ option quiet
> @%write $^@ option verbose
> @%write $^@ option caseexact
> @%write $^@ option symfile=$(NAME).dbg
> @%write $^@ debug codeview
> @%write $^@ option cache
> @%write $^@ option map=$(WMAPNAME).
> @%write $^@ option description '@$#$(_VENDOR):$(_VERSION)$#@ OS/2
> Audio DD Sample'
> @%write $^@ name $(NAME).sys
> @for %f in ($(OBJS)) do @%append $^@ file %f
> @%write $^@ import DOSIODELAYCNT DOSCALLS.427
> @%write $^@ library ..\..\..\..\lib\os2286.lib
> @%write $^@ library ..\wpddlib2\runtime.lib
> @%write $^@ library ..\..\resource\rmcalls\rmcalls.lib
>
> See the library statement (which could be abbreviated to l or lib).
>
> FWIW, if you read:
>
> http://www.scoug.com/os24u/2001/scoug012.mrkia.html
>
> you would know that you could help your self by telling me which sample
> you are trying to build and showing me the input you are attempting to
> use. I'm pretty good at visualization, but often not perfect.
>
> Steven
>
> --

Return to [ 16 | January | 2002 ]