Return to [ 01 | January | 2002 ]

Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 12:50:55 PST7
From: Sheridan George <s-geo@usa.net >
To: Scoug Help Desk <scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: SMC 7004 ABR

For those of you that bought the ABR version (which is the latest version) of the SMC Cable modem
router and want to use the builtin printer port:

The documentation is incorrect. The BR version uses (documented) lp (lower case LP) for the printer
name. For the ABR version I discovered that one needs to use lpt1 (lower LPT1). I don't know if the
name must be lower case or not. It worked and I let well enough alone. I've been fooling with this
thing off and on for about 3 months and was tired of it!

BTW, SMC's tech help told me that two 7004s can't be used the way I wanted to use them. Something
about virtual ports and "not smart enough" driver. They would not talk (e-mail) to me any more after
I told them I had a printer (an HP 5L) connected to their BR version and a Xerox C20 (has its own
printer server) on my LAN allowing me to print different documents at the same time from one computer
under OS/2. (I tested this and it does work.)

FYI, I have a 7004BR as my cable modem firewall and use the printer port for the HP 5L. One of the
BR's ports goes to another room, where a Mac resides along with an HP 855c inkjet, and connects to the
7004ABR. The ABR is used only as a hub for the Mac and print server for the 855c. (Way cool. The
ABR ports are autosensing. Therefore no crossover cable is required.) My Xerox C20 (builtin print
server) hangs off another port of the BR. All three printers will print different documents at the
same time all from a single computer. SMC says WinXX can't do that. Only one document at a time.
(hee hee)

Sheridan

PS Steven suggested I use iptrace to see what was going on between the two 7004s. I discovered they
were talking to each other contrary to what SMC tech help told me. I then guessed at lpt1 as the
printer name and it worked. Thanks, Steven.

Sheridan

Return to [ 01 | January | 2002 ]