Return to [ 10 | July | 2002 ]

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 23:04:11 PST7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: eComStationary Network

In <200207102131432.SM01252@66-81-31-55-modem.o1.com>, on 07/10/02
at 08:31 PM, Michael Rakijas said:

>Based on my experience and what I have done to this point, I had trouble
>with this idea. These are the two paths for the IP traffic that are
>added as directed by InJoy. Since I have a number of machines that
>already work as configured with InJoy in mind, I decided to look at
>another one as a model. Two similar paths are defined on it except with
>the following syntax:

>route add default 192.168.1.1 1 > null
>route add net 192.168.1 192.168.1.1 1 netmask 255.255.255.0 > null

>I realize the redirection simply dumps into the bottomless bit bucket but

Not quite. This is either incorrect usage or a typo in you copy/paste
attempt. The output is dumped into a file name null. IMNSHO, it's a
silly thing to do even if the correct name (i.e. nul) is used because it
removes the opportunity for the human to see any error messages that might
occur.

>the difference is interesting. I don't know what the dash is in front of
>net (-net) on the problem machine is. I assume the 1's are the

The -net is correct syntax for the 32-bit TCP/IP (i.e. 4.3) you installed
with eCS. As a last resort, you could check the syntax in the manual or
with:

route -?

>non-argument-enumerated way of specifying hopcounts. The added netmask
>shows what I was asking about the absence of a netmask earlier (and how I
>couldn't get it with the TCPIP notebook on eCS). Just to double check
>that it wasn't redundant, I REM'ed out the second line and the behavior
>didn't change. Then, I added the corrected line (the one with the

That's my definition of redundant.

>netmask) to the eCS machine. Yahoo, Google and other web sites came
>right up. I'm not sure it's fully fixed yet because a while later, the
>kids complained that it stopped working. Yahoo wouldn't come up anymore

If you were not suppressing error messages, you would see the eCS machine
bitch and moan about your syntax.

>I've replaced both lines now on the eCS machine to the known good syntax
>but since it was Bedtime for Bonzos, I won't be able to fully test it for
>a bit. I feel a bit uneasy though. Why would the TCP/IP config notebook
>have gotten wrong? Is it, in fact, wrong the way it was and the change

It didn't. Check the syntax on an eCS machine. Your problem lies
elsewhere.

The correct syntax for TCP/IP 4.3 on eCS is:

route add default 192.168.1.1 -hopcount 1

That should be sufficient to send every packet to the gateway machine.

Steven

Return to [ 10 | July | 2002 ]