Return to [ 15 | July | 2002 ]

Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 19:45:31 PST7
From: Wayne Cypress <waynecypress@compuserve.com >
To: < "INTERNET:scoug-help@scoug.com" > scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: VACP | Mozilla | Java 1.31

Some loosely related questions:

>I'm about to install Mozilla into ECS, and wanted to scout out any =

>"gotchas" ahead of time.

I have Warp4 fp15, and therefore cannot use Java with Mozilla 1.1a, so my=

remarks apply
to my experience.

>1) The new release of BZIP2 mentioned on the VOICE list says you need
>some VACP runtime or library to use it. (A similar case to EMX ?)
>I'm not sure why anyone might need BZIP (or RAR for that matter), when
>we have the well-ingrained standards of PKZIP and InfoZip, but this
>left me wondering. The Mozilla build all seem to have VACP as part of
>their archive's long filenames. I had thought this only referred to
>how they were compiled, and a quick skim of the docs did not turn up
>mention of a need for outside modules, but I just wanted to be sure.

Im thinking it needs EMX, but I'm not positive.

>2) Wayne asked if there was a reason to prefer Mozilla 1.0 over 1.1a,
>and I'd like to see that answer too. I would like to have Mozilla
>co-exist with the already installed 4.61, and perhaps just "adopt" its
>profiles & preferences. If there is some Skin or option to have
>Mozilla look / act more like 4.61 in its UI (except for 4.61 crashes,
>of course !), I'd probably like to enable it.

I like 1.1a better than 1.0 (now that I finally got my settings correct a=
nd
can post to newsgroups). Both are faster than Netscape 4.61 on many
websites I frequent.

The user interface as initially installed is very close to Netscape 4.61,=

with the option to choose other interfaces. (mine is a milestone dated
about 6/11 and I got it here: http://www.mozilla.org/ports/os2/ )

I've had a few glitches, but minor ones, with 1.1a...

... the inability to post to newsgroups, but I may have caused it myself,=

because after lots of fooling with newsgroup settings I now have it
working. =

... a known problem where the page scrolls with the movement of your curs=
or
if your cursor happens to slip off the scroll bar while you are dragging
the scroll bar, but a single mouse click stops the scrolling. =

... another is that if you are selecting text to copy off a web page that=

needs scrolling to reach all the text you want to copy, the page will not=

scroll when you reach the bottom of a page while you are dragging your
cursor to select the text; that just means you have to copy, paste, scrol=
l,
copy, paste, scroll.... etc. Annoying, but not serious.

... I've had an intermittant problem while filling in text boxes on one
website, where the page kept scrolling/jumping down lower on the page as =
typed letters. so that I couldn't see what I was typing and had to keep
scrolling back up. Annoying but it's only happened a couple of times. =

You can use both Netscape and Mozilla, even at the same time (at least I
can, I'm using DSL with a LinkSys router). =

>3) I've been looking over the Java 1.31 docs. The part about Known
>Limitations if it is the default Java -- certain app.s will fail,
i>ncluding LVMGUI and some TCP/IP stuff -- bothers me. I notice that
>my ECS install placed Java 131 first in Libpath, but not at all in
>Path or Classpath. So maybe I should just leave that alone ? If I
>can still use 131 for Mozilla somehow (?), that would be fine.

I'm not sure about this (perhaps by setting up .cmd files that have an
appropriate Java path statement and setting up the icons to point at thes=
cmd files?)

>4) I wasn't sure if the default install of ECS placed Java 131 and the
>4.3 TCP stack in with the os, but a Syslevel report lists them, so
t>hey must be there. Their presence may not be the same thing as their
>being active or the default, though ?

I can't comment

>5) I would want to install whatever plug-ins I had for 4.61 that
>Mozilla can use.

Go to this site for info on compatible plugins:
http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html

>Jordan

Return to [ 15 | July | 2002 ]