Return to [ 03 | July | 2002 ]

Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 03:38:12 PST7
From: "Info2SYNass.NET" <Info@SYNass.NET >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Maintenance Partition | BOOTOS2

Hello Peter & Jordan
your recent Maintenance / BootOS2 discussion interests me very
much ...
... especially since I have read Jordan's earlier description of
his Maintenance
Partition design !?

You both may know Performance Plus V4 !?
Today with my systems on Warp 4 with FP15/16 I am still using
Performace Plus
diskettes: 1 for booting and one for Utilities ...
... but also in a bootable primary partition which can be called
from Bootmanager.
Since FP13 I am having some problems with Performance Plus and
have not
gotten any answer from their support ;-(

Since I am reorganizing / optimizing my HDD and partition
topography to be changed
for a more intelligent and networklike P2P design I am also
reconsidering the best
solution for the Maintenance Partition !?

I would appreciate some advice and hints for an attractive and
intelligent solution ...
... somewhat better than my current one and also the sketched
next one !?

HDD1: Quantum Fireball lqt15 7.5GB (System Disk only)
C1: WS2xx_DrDOS - 1004MB primary FAT - DrDOS
ca. 4000MB empty space: reserve for an temporary WIN installation
replacing DOS in C1 !?
C2: WS2xx_PROD - 1255MB primary HPFS - OS/2 V4 FP16 or in future
MCP 4.52 / PROD system
C3: WS2xx_TEST - 1255MB primary HPFS - OS/2 V4 FP16 or in furure
MCP 4.52 / TEST system

I am doing no tests with C2 ...
... and C3 is a mirror of C2: Getting troubles with C3 I do a
Drive Image from C2 to C3 !!!

HDD2: Western Digital WDC200AB 20GB (Applications and Work Files)
D: WS2xx_Disaster - 1004MB primary HPFS - OS/2 - Performance Plus
V4 as Maintenance Partition
E: WS2xx_Enhanced - 5000MB logical HPFS - Applications and
Programs
F: WS2xx_Files - 3000MB logical HPFS - Work Files
G: WS2xx_Gar[b]age - 3000MB logical - Garage, Garbage, Stuff

HDD3: IBM DTLA 307075 76GB (DATA and Libraries)
H: Homes - 15GB logical HPFS - User's Homes
I: Images - 10GB logical HPFS - Images (Websites images and
digital pictures)
J: Java - 7.5GB logical HPFS - Java (planned to move from C: to
J: with changing to JFS !?)
K: KnowHow - 5GB logical HPFS - all kind of KnowHow i.e. Guides,
Instructions, ReadMe's and Red Books
L: Libraries - 12.5GB logical HPFS - Library of all downloaded
data, most are ZIP files

MO-Disk
M: removable media 540 resp 1.3GB

S: to W: is a Nakamichi 5 CD-Changer System

This listings shows the (future) main system's confuration ...
... the (client) systems, except the experimental system, are
having no HDD3
since they are connected to H: and higher per P2P !?

Another important aspect is LVM and JFS:
What are reasons to change or modify my design like above ?
All systems are OS/2 only except one Notebook and one Desktop:
These 2 systems are having a WIN98SE in their C3: partition !!

Generally, except the Notebook but also if possible, all HW are
identically from Graphic Cards,
HDD's, NIC's, SCSI Controllers and Sound Cards plus some TV-Card
(Hauppauge WIN-TV PCI)

I will pen off here.
Now I am really interested what hints, ideas and suggestions I am
getting ;-)

Regards, svobi

pskye@peterskye.com on 03.07.2002 08.27.01
Please respond to scoug-help@scoug.com
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
cc:

J. R. Fox wrote:
> One certainly does not need to have a duplicate of
> _everything_ that is available in the production
> partition, just anything one might have a real need
> for (diagnostic/troubleshooting stuff, file mgr.,
> preferred word processor, full 'Net access, etc.)
> or really want by way of redundancy.

My boot partitions never contain anything but the OS/2
installation.
All applications and data are on other drives so if the boot
partition
gets scrambled then I can still get to my apps and data by
booting to my
Maintenance Partition.

Some software writes to the OS2.INI file (and maybe to the
OS2SYS.INI
file too). If you boot to a different partition which uses
different
OS2*.INI files you *might* have to reinstall the software to get
it
working; the reinstall will write the required values into the
OS2*.INI
files. This "gotcha" can also affect people who boot different
versions
of OS/2.

- Peter

Return to [ 03 | July | 2002 ]