Return to [ 24 | July | 2002 ]

Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 22:47:05 PST7
From: waynec@linkline.com
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Boot hang: reinstall

Harry Chris Motin writes:

> Wayne,
>
> You've got to get yourself a reliable way to quickly restall your system
> from a backup (crash recovery). Different people do it different ways. I
> use Back Again 2000 and its crash recovery system.
>
> I too have been foolish or did not stop to think about consequences,
> when adjusting my system or attempting to fix a problem. On several
> occasions I have found myself unable to reboot, or sometimes able to
> reboot to a setup that I did not want.
>
> I use Back Again 2000 to restore my system from scratch, using diskettes
> and a saved backup. Talk to other people, like Peter and Steven, and
> find out how they do it. Pick a way that you like and that works for
> you. Test it out to make sure.
>
> HCM

Yeah, I've been thinking about that need.... I do have older versions of
PQMagic's "Drive Image" and "Drive Copy" which I recently acquired along
with a few of their other utilities and never got around to trying.

Drive Image looks as though it could do the job for me by copying the D:
partition to another hard drive as a file (via boot-up Dr DOS diskettes) and
then "restored" later the same way if need be. Anyone have comments on that?
I don't have any removable media to write to except for diskettes.

Wayne

Return to [ 24 | July | 2002 ]