Return to [ 07 | July | 2002 ]

Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 12:15:33 PST7
From: Sheridan George <s-geo@usa.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: electronic printer switches

jack.huffman@worldnet.att.net wrote:

> In , on 07/04/2002
> at 11:47 PM, "Steven Levine" said:
>
> >In
> ><20020704210636.ELLQ20423.mtiwmhc21.worldnet.att.net@mailhost.worldnet.att.net>,
> >on 07/04/02
> > at 01:06 PM, jack.huffman@worldnet.att.net said:
>

> I am looking for a second printer because I can't make my Lexmark 5700
> print envelopes from WordPerfect for DOS 6.0 and it is awfully slow to
> print from Windows apps in Win-OS2. The 5700 prints everything from Word
> Perfect except envelopes and everything my DOS version of Quattro Pro
> outputs because it emulates the HP500 monochrome and color printers and
> both programs have drivers for both printers. My envelope printing
> problem exists because, to the best of my knowledge, the HP500 fed
> envelopes long dimension as WP assumes it will be done and the 5700 feeds
> then end first.

Nope. My long gone HP 500, my current HP 855C, and current HP 5L all print envelopes edgewise. A #10
envelope will not fit lengthwise. My Xerox C20 will print lengthwise just as did your KXP1124 because
both are wide carrage printers.

> Assuming it is necessary to use two printers, I am pretty sure I don't
> want to network them. If I understand "Warp Unleashed" correctly, a
> network requires a local and a network printer object for each printer and
> their drivers must be matched. I have enough trouble configuring two
> local printers and think four would be a pain.

Nope, again. I have three different printers connected thru my LAN and only three printer objects.
All printing is done on these printers since no printer is connected to a parallel port on any of our
5 computers.

A possible benefit is the ability, on OS/2 not Windows, to print letters on one printer and envelopes
on another at the same time even if you are using two different word processors. In fact it may be
easier with two different word processors or two instances of the same word processor. One would be
set for letters and the other would be set for envelopes. (Depending on what your needs are, you
might think about an envelope printer. My son has one that spits 'em out at the rate of about one per
second for his 500 - 1000 envelope mailings. BTW, it uses a dot matrix print head and is noisy.)

FWIW, using OS/2, I have demonstrated the printing of three different documents on all three printers
at the same time from one computer using my print server setup.

Speaking to another possible concern, my wife and I do print to our main printer (the HP 5L laserjet)
at the same time and nothing gets messed up. The spoolers simply wait while the printer is busy.

Sheridan

Return to [ 07 | July | 2002 ]