Return to [ 30 | July | 2002 ]

Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 08:34:00 PST7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: Kernel identification

In <3D464415.B1FC87F8@pacbell.net>, on 07/29/02
at 10:45 PM, "J. R. Fox" said:

>This seems to directly contradict a message I took off the ECS newsgroup,
>from Oliver Rick, who runs the WarpUpdates site in Germany.

To understand this better, read some of the threads on the "merged
kernels" and this implications of this.

FWIW, the ver command is often useless. The version it reports is
hardcoded into cmd.exe. Once you install an updated kernel, the version
numbers will no longer match.

There are several ways to know the installed kernel version. One is to
write it down when you install the kernel. Another is to read it off the
screen when booting. A third is use your favorite hex viewer and search
for the string "internal revision" in OS2KERNL. Yet another is to use my
DumpTrapScreen to extract it from a standalone dump either on disk or
diskette.

>So he must be wrong. Right ?

Not all messages are perfect, even mine. Ask him to clarify. There's not
enough context in your snip for me to say for sure. However, I don't see
any contradiction with my statement. He could be talking about running on
an SMP motherboard.

Keep in mind that all FP13+ kernels are based on same code base. The
builds (W4, UNI and SMP) are slightly different based on intended use.
This was not the case with FP12- kernels.

While my orginal statements are correct, they would have also been correct
if I dropped WSeB from them and left it implicit. You can purchase an SMP
option for eCS which licenses you to run the UNI or SMP kernels with eCS.
Originally the UNI and SMP kernels were licensed only for WSeB. This did
not mean that they would not work elsewhere. This is similar to the case
with most OS/2 components. There are many more working combinations, than
supported/licensed combinations.

Steven

Return to [ 30 | July | 2002 ]