Return to [ 19 | July | 2002 ]

Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 14:58:54 PST7
From: Harry Chris Motin <hmotin@attglobal.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: boot hang... still

Wayne,

Steven and I have talked several times in the past about the correct
procedure to regularly clean the OS2.INI. I believe he told me (Steven,
correct me if I'm wrong here) the following (and this is in fact what I
do!):

1. Make a backup of the OS2.INI

2. Use UniMaint to clean the OS2.INI by selecting "Repair" from the
UniMaint screen

3 Reset the desktop, using UniMaint

4. Clean the OS2.INI file, using Checkini.exe. I believe that Checkini
automatically makes a backup of the OS2.INI file, so you are OK there.
Checkini will automatically reset the desktop at the end.

5. Clean the OS2.INI file, using Cleanini.exe. Include the option to
make a backup of the file first (the "/C" option). Cleanini will
automatically reset the desktop at the end.

6. Finally, do not do anything for a couple of minutes. Give the system
time to update the OS2.INI. What's going on here is that, when OS/2 is
up and running, it does not use the OS2.INI file to record the changes
that you make to your system. Instead, it uses the OS2.!!! file, which
in the same directory (like C:\OS2\). Periodically then, OS/2 flushes
out all the those changes and records them to the OS2.INI. I have found,
however, that if you start doing things to your system immediately after
cleaning the OS2.INI, the system may not correctly write all the changes
that occurred as a result of the cleaning. That is, upon the next
bootup, you will find that some or all of those OS2.INI file errors are
still retained in that file! At least that is what happens to me on my
system. My fix for that is either of the following:

A. Don't do anything for several minutes after cleaning. Give the
system a chance to write the changes to the OS2.INI

B. Immediately reboot (a soft reboot) after the last cleaning. The
system immediately writes all the changes to the OS2.INI during a
shutdown or a reboot

Either of the above 2 alternatives will work!

7. Lastly, make a backup of your good and final OS2.INI file result.

Do the above regularly, and you will have no problems.

Now, however, in your situation you have never cleaned the OS2.INI file,
or at least not in a long while. It is quite dirty with a lot of junk.
The correct procedure here is to use UniMaint, first and only (Steven,
again correct me, if I am wrong). Clean it gradually, a little at a
time. The important thing here is to make a backup each time and to test
out the result before going on to the next cleaning. The part about not
doing anything to your system immediately afterward, or alternatively
doing a reboot, is really important here.

After you finally get down to the result that UniMaint gives you no
errors in the OS2.INI file should you then go on and use Checkini and
Cleanini.

After you have successfully completed the above, you can use the regular
cleaning regime, which I first described, above. You will have no
problems!

Apparently, UniMaint, Checkini and Cleanini each do some different
things, with some overlap, but not full overlap.

Hope the above helps!

I know Steven will chime in, if he feels I am incorrect in anything!
Steven???

HCM

Wayne Cypress wrote:

> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
> > at 06:59 PM, Wayne Cypress said:
>
> >>Well, you guessed it, my copy was pretty old! So, I found and downloaded
> >>the latest and ran it without parameters.
> >>It completed, but it said it was finding many errors, including perhaps a
> >>hundred or more "Object handle to non-locateable path found"
>
> >Typical. This is exactly what I expected you to say.
>
> >>Should I just go ahead and run it with the /C parm?
>
> >Sure. You will have full control over what gets deleted. Just don't
> >delete anything you are unsure about.
>
> >If you look at the paths contained in the:
> >

> > "Object handle to non-locateable path found"
>
> >messages you will recognize most of them as stuff you deleted long ago.
>
> >I don't know your work style, but if you tend to access files from the
> >drives object or the desktop and delete them from the command line, this
> >type of error tends to happen. The command line does not tell the WPS
> >that the file or directory is deleted and you end up with dangling
> >references in the .INI's. Sometimes the WPS goofs on its own and creates
> >the dangling references. In and of themselves, these references are not a
> >problem. However, if there are too many of them, they start chewing up
> >limited WPS resources and the WPS becomes unstable.
>
> >Steven
>
> Well, you guessed my work style... one frustrattion I have with OS/2 is
> that there
> does not seem to be an easy way to rename folders (ie, with a right-click,
> there is
> no selection for renaming). And, I'm sure I'm guilty of deleting from the
> command line.
> And, a few times I've done major rearranging of folders among partitions by
>
> click & drag as well as right-click/delete.
>
> Anyway, I am still having trouble, and I am confused about the use of
> checkini and cleanini...
> I have now used both of them several times with the /C option, laboriously
> going through
> all the "Object handle to non-relocatable path found" messages in checkini
> and choosing to
> delete them (some are even on the A: floppy drive). Then I "resetwps", then
> right-click on my
> desktop and check the "Create archive at each system startup" and then
> reboot.
>
> STILL experiencing hangs during reboots, took 4 attempts this morning to
> succeed.
>
> When I rerun checkini, all those "Object handle.... snip ... found" items
> come up AGAIN!
> Danged things are STILL THERE! Obviously I don't understand the function of
> checkini/cleanini.
>
> I've now done this three times. What does it take to get rid of that stuff?
>
> Wayne

Return to [ 19 | July | 2002 ]