Return to [ 26 | July | 2002 ]

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 17:17:57 PST7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: Testcase Kernels

In <3D41FA61.2DBFE68C@pacbell.net>, on 07/26/02
at 04:42 PM, "J. R. Fox" said:

>kernels, and I'm wondering if they are the right URLs for the latest
>stuff.

Yes,

> ftp://ftp.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/fixes/update-kernels/

These are the latest supported Warp4 kernels. Note I said Warp4. To IBM,
Warp4 is different than eCS/MCP.

> ftp://testcase.boulder.ibm.com/ps/fromibm/os2/

This is testcase.

>I'm not sure what the latter one is, as I could make no sense of it. The

Testcase is exactly what the dictionary defines it as.

>first one seems to have kernels dating from 11/00, which can't be up to
>date.

Sure they are. These are the most recent supported Warp4 kernels.

>And those kernels are from late '01. So they should _not_ supercede the
>ECS kernel from MCP-2, which is what I believe Tony put on in the course
>of installing ECS. Steve from Scitech seems to think I need a later ECS

Maybe yes and maybe no. You have to check. What's the reported kernel
revision when you boot? What's the date of OS2KERNL? The base eCS
kernels are older that what's on this site. The MCP FP1 and MCP FP2 and
MCP2 kernels are newer.

>kernel, to fix the Trap E problem. I'm rather skeptical about that, but

Well, if you know this stuff better than he does, I guess you can ignore
his advice. However, if it were me, I would ask him what kernel version
he suggests.

>don't have any idea where to turn up a post-MCP2 kernel for ECS. I don't

eCS has 14.089c_W4 on the site, if that's the one Steve suggests.

>to get, they may have weeks or months later. (e.g., no sign of the UDF
>2.0 driver).

You must be having a problem navigating the site:

IBM CD-RW, DVD-ROM and DVD-RAM File System Support - download update
Release Date: 07-19-2002 02:25:48 PM Last Update:07-19-2002 03:01:27 PM
Type:Driver Version:Version 2.01 Driver Information

This software package provides OSTA UDF Revision 2.01 support. The package
provides CD-RW, DDCD-RW (Double Density CD-RW), DVD-ROM and DVD-RAM file
system support for OS/2 Warp. To install, download to a temporary
directory (for example, xxxx) and in an OS/2 window:

My experience is that files arrive on the eCS site at worst a couple of
days after IBM releases them. The only exceptions are items that SSI has
to repackage before posting to the site.

>And what URL did you get that one from ?

The one you did not understand. It's gone now. It's available elsewhere.
If it turns out you need it, I can track down a URL.

When you figure out which kernel you have and which one you want to
install, let me know.

Steven

Return to [ 26 | July | 2002 ]