Return to [ 23 | July | 2002 ]

Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 17:46:00 PST7
From: Harry Chris Motin <hmotin@attglobal.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Boot hang: still there

Wayne,

About 1 year ago I also suffered from an intermittent boot hang. In my
case the system would stop with the hourglass in the middle of an
otherwise blank aqua screen. None of the keys on the keyboard
functioned. The mouse did not work. I could not even reboot by pressing
the MB ON/OFF switch. Somehow that was frozen. I had to flip the switch
OFF on the power strip.

It turned out that my problem was the new Matrox 450 video card that I
bought online and received in the mail. After I swapped out the card for
a new ATI board, which I just happened to have, everything worked fine.
I know that Steven advised you that your hardware is probably OK,
because you can boot to that other OS with no problems. I'm not so sure.
It may still be your hardware. I believe OS/2 to be just a little more
tempermental in this area and thus more susceptible to bad or deficient
hardware. That's my believe.

A couple of suggestions:

1. I would start swapping out hardware, especially the video card, just
to see

2. Also, while I was trying to narrow down the boot hang culprit, I
would have to restore an old previous version of my OS2.INI, OS2SYS.INI
and desktop files, whenever the system hung. About 90% of the time that
worked on the first try and I had my system back, but temporarily. I
believe that what was happening here was that I was changing the timing
in my system JUST ENOUGH to make a difference.

When I had to change out the OS2.INI, etc. files, I would first boot to
a minimal OS/2 system, using the OS/2 boot diskettes. Then I would
change out the OS2.INI, OS2SYS.INI, CONFIG.SYS and/or desktop files,
using 3 different batch files, which I had on one of the diskettes. I
had up to 20 generations of the OS2.INI. etc. files on my second hard
drive, D:\. The batch files made it very easy for me to change out any
of these files and select a particular generation. I used Gamma Tech
Sentry to save up 20 generations of these files. You should get UniMaint
and set it up to do the same thing. Make it as easy as you can on
yourself with regard to using batch files and saved generations so that
you can temporarily restore your system until you can find the culprit.

I even had a batch file to change the Hardware Manager to/from "Full
Hardware Detection" and "No Hardware Detection". Sometimes that helped
with the hangs.

Anyway, I bet it's hardware!!

HCM

Wayne Cypress wrote:

> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
> > message below
> >

> > Wayne,
>
> > Haven't heard from you in a couple of days. Does that mean that the boot
> > hang problem has not reoccurred? Hope so anyway!!
>
> > HCM
>
> On the contrary, it came back with a vengeance yesterday, I must have done
> a dozen boots, including choosing two old archived desktops (is it normal
> to take 20 minutes restoring an old desktop?) and reseating all the adapter
> cards in my machine.
>
> I finally did get past the "blue screen hang", then once again ran
> checkini, but haven't dared archive this desktop yet for fear of losing
> others. Today it came up on the first boot attempt, but my confidence level
> is zero!
>
> Wayne

Return to [ 23 | July | 2002 ]