Return to [ 04 | July | 2002 ]

Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 10:09:17 PST7
From: "Info2SYNass.NET" <Info@SYNass.NET >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Creating Boot Diskettes from files saved on the Hard Drive?

Hello
there are some ways to do this:

1) OS/2 Setup's own "Create Utility Diskettes"
2) BootOS2
3) Performance Plus V4

4 solutions with different results ...
... four ??? yes, I will explain later !!!

I find it very difficult to point to one of these solutions
because they fulfil different needs.

Solution 1) creates the wellnknown set of 4 Diskettes ...
... I am having one or two sets from earlier but do not work with
!

I had tried a few time to get floppies or a working maintenance
partition environment
with BootOS2 but never was satisfied what I got ...
... perhaps I am having 2 left hands ;-(

With solution 3) I was working for years and I was happy with
Performance Plus V3
and later V4 but since FP13 there seem to be some proplems
craeting either the
floppies ( 2 floppies only: 1 Boot Diskette & 1 Utility Diskette)
or the Maintenance
Partition on a HDD !?

My version 4 looks like following:
My system HDD contains 3 primary C: partitions plus the
Bootmanager.
On the second HDD I create an primary bootable partition D:
(Disaster)
and do install a very slim OS/2. With this installation I am able
to maintain
my whole system !

There are some more tricky ways but in a case of emergency I
prefer to
have a clean and simple way to get my problems solved.
With having troubles I do not want to experiment with some
possible solutions !
The solution must be proper working !!
For sure !!!

That's my opinion ;-)

Regards, svobi

hmotin@attglobal.net on 04.07.2002 17.35.17
Please respond to scoug-help@scoug.com
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
cc:
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Creating Boot Diskettes from files saved on
the Hard Drive?

Hi there,

I am trying to create a set of OS/2 bootable diskettes, using
files that
I copied and saved to my hard drive. Here's the problem:

I have a REXX script that automates the task of creating Back
Again 2000
emergency boot diskettes. The final step in the script is to copy
the
created files from each diskette to an individual folder on my
hard
drive (a different folder for each diskette).

Now, the boot diskettes work just fine. However, I want to be
able to
create another set of bootable diskettes, at any time, using the
saved
files on my hard drive. That is, I want to format a new set of
diskettes
and copy back the files from the folders on the hard drive and
have the
result produce a new set of bootable diskettes. I don't want to
have to
use DISKCOPY and my existing floppies.

Because we are dealing with system files and boot sectors, I
cannot just
simply format the diskettes and then copy the files to them from
the
hard drive. That won't work.

Anybody got any ideas on how to do this? Thanks muchly.

HCM

Return to [ 04 | July | 2002 ]