Return to [ 04 | July | 2002 ]

Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 10:19:48 PST7
From: Harry Chris Motin <hmotin@attglobal.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: basic help

Butch,

I've not gone the ECS route yet. I'm staying with Warp 4, FixPak 16 for
now, because I've got my desktop JUST SO and it took me a long time to
get it that way. The standard install for ECS is to provide you with a
new desktop and I don't want that. According to Steven Levine, you can
fiddle with the installation somewhat and install ECS with your existing
desktop. I don't know how to do that.

ECS offers some advantages over Warp 4 with the latest FixPak:

1. Longer continued support for the product

2. Newer drivers

3. The Logical Volume Manager (LVM) and the Journalling File System
(JFS), which offer more features than FDISK and HPFS (on the minus side
the JFS probably has slower read/write times than HPFS)

4. Warp development toolkit

5. The ability to install the OS on partitions > 8GB

Did I miss anything, Steven?

HCM

Butch Langel wrote:

> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
> This morning after reading helpful emails, I edited the first line of the
> sys.config file and inserted the space between set and copy as it should
> have been. Then I reinstalled the system. I needed to reinstall anyway as
> I did not include tcp-ip and file and print client packages in the previous
> install. All went well and I am starting to learn about the system.
>
> I am limited today and tonight for obvious July 4 reasons. Additionally, I
> was given an old Tandy pentium 1 computer with 64 mgs or ram and 1 gig hard
> drive for my grand daughter's use. She is 4 1/2 and the games she plays are
> not working on the old Digital Equipment machines (486) with 504 mgs hard
> drive and 16 mgs of ram. I installed cd-rom, but with the progress of
> technology, these old computers just won't perform. This newer pentium fits
> the bill except I can't get sound out of the speakers. Interestingly, when
> a headphone jack is put into the jackport, I hear sound, but nothing out of
> the speakers. Perhaps a loose wire or soundcard going bad. Also, the
> windows 98 system and programs the retired teacher had on the hd filled it
> so that only about 8 mb of free space was left. Sounds like backup of
> things to retain and install Win95 on the system.
> A question I've had in the back of my mind since starting this project was
> about the advantage of eCOMSTATION. If I find Warp 4 to my liking and can
> get the printer to work and the cd-rw functioning, would you recommend eCS
> for primary use? I understand that a new version is about to hit the
> storeshelves soon, so this time with Warp 4 is time well spent. Any
> thoughts on eCS ? Perhaps, I am getting ahead of myself.
>
> Enjoy Independence Day
>
> Butch Langel

Return to [ 04 | July | 2002 ]