Return to [ 01 | July | 2002 ]

Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 19:33:06 PST7
From: Harry Chris Motin <hmotin@attglobal.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Basic help

Steven Levine wrote:

> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
> In <007c01c2211c$83a7fa60$6401a8c0@eyeleicailxtzi>, on 07/01/02
> at 08:31 AM, "Butch Langel" said:
>
> >I made changes to sys.config file and replaced the IBM1S506.ADD with the
> >IBM updated file (just because it required one less step). I attempted to
> >install and get to the FDISK program. All progress stops there. When I
> >highlight a function to do and hit enter, nothing happens. That is, the
> >steps to form a boot partition isn't happening. I've read all the
>
> I'm going to take a guess here that you are trying to invoke options that
> are not enabled. fdisk displays all options. Only the enabled options
> will have have a highlighted letter. The disabled options will be
> displayed in a single color (blue on my setup).
>
> Still guessing, it appears your disk has no free space to create
> bootmanager or and install partition.
>
> Try this:
>
> - Boot the install diskettes
> - A screen with an F3 option will appear eventually
> - Press F3
> - You will be at the command line of drive a:
> - Type
> fdisk /query:all >fdisk.out
> - Type
> exit
> - Cancel the install
>
> Post a copy of fdisk.out and someone should be able to tell you what to do
> next.
>
> >I did choose the advanced install. Perhaps that is causing a problem.
>
> I doubt this.
>
> >doing, it will not cooperate}. Anyway, I might try the beginner install
> >to see how it goes.
>
> You can do this if you have nothing on the drive you care about.
> Otherwise, it would be better to understand why you are having trouble
> using fdisk.
>
> Steven
>
> --

Butch,

After reading your email and Steven's response, I believe that he is
correct here. You should follow his advice. We need to get you through
the FDISK process. I don't think using the "Easy Install" instead of the
"Advanced Install" is going to change anything. The FDISK program is
tricky to use. So, let's start from the beginning.

When you select FDISK you should get a screen something like the
following:

* FDISK *
* Disk 1 *
* Partition Information *
* Name Status Access FSType Mbytes *
* *
* *
* *
* *
* *
* *
* *
* *
* *
* *
* *
* *
* *
* F1=HELP F3=EXIT Tab=Disk Enter=Options Menu *

OK! Pressing the Tab key will cycle the highlight between the line that
says "Disk 1" and the big recgtangular section under the "Name", Status"
... line. This big rectangular section is where you will be making
partition selections. You cannot make a partition unless the highlight
is in that big rectangular area.

When the highlight is up on the "Disk 1" line, you can cycle between
Disk 1, Disk 2, Disk 3, etc (if you had a disk 2, disk 3, ...). You do
so by hitting the Left and Right arrow keys, when the highlight is on
the "Disk 1" line. However, since you only have one disk, the 13GB one,
that line for you will read "Disk 1", only. And therefore, when you go
up there (using the Tab key) you won't be able to cycle between anything
on that line.

Hit the Tab key and place the highlight in the rectangular section below
the "Name", "Status" ...., line. This section should basically say that
you have no created partitions, because OS/2 has never been installed on
your system. I don't know exactly what it says, but basically you should
see 13GB (= 13000 MBytes) of free hard drive space available for
partitioning.

However, if that is not so, your FDISK screen will look something like
the following:

* FDISK *
* Disk 1 *
* Partition Information *
* Name Status Access FSType Mbytes *
* Startable :Primary BOOT MANAGER 7 *
* OS2 Bootable C:Primary HPFS 8001 *
* None D:Logical HPFS 5000 *
* *
* *
* *
* *
* *
* *
* *
* *
* *
* *
* F1=HELP F3=EXIT Tab=Disk Enter=Options Menu *

Shown above are 3 recognized partitions: Boot Manager, C: and D:. If you
have any partitions, delete them. Do so by placing the highlight on each
partition and hitting the Enter key. You should get something like the
following:

*-------------Options---------------*
* Install Boot Manager... *
* Create partition... *
* Add to Boot Manager menu... *
* Change partition name... *
* Assign C: partition *
* Set startup values... *
* Remove from Boot Manager *
* Delete partition *
* Set installable... *
* Make startable *
*-----------------------------------*
* Help... *
* Set/Select *
* Exit *
*-----------------------------------*

This is the "Partition Creation/Modification/Deletion Menu". It appears
near the top left hand portion of the FDISK screen and is on top of
everything else on the screen. Hit the Down and Up keys to cycle down
and up the menu. Go to "Delete partion". Select it by hitting the Enter
key. Hit the F3 key to remove the menu. Go to the next partition, if
any, and delete it. And so on and so on. Please note that just as Steven
has said, you cannot select anything in the "Partition
Creation/Modification/Deletion Menu" unless it has one letter of a
different color. On my menu all of the letters are blue, except one that
is white. If you don't have a white letter on a given selection line,
you will NOT be able to select that choice. Basically, FDISK stops you
from making inappropriate selections for a particular type of partition
that you want to create.

After you have deleted all your partitions (assuming that you had to do
that), hit F3 to exit the menu and again to exit FDISK. FDISK will ask
to whether or not you want to save your selections. Do so. Because you
changed the partitions, you will have to reboot completely again, using
the 3 boot diskettes. Each time that you change partitions, you will
have to reboot.

OK! You are back in FDISK. Now, you've got all 13GB of disk space
available for partitioning! Now, create a Boot Manager partition first
(this is a suggestion, only; you do not have to have a Boot Manager).
Your highlight must be in the big rectangular area and you will hit the
enter key to bring up the menu. Select "Install Boot Manager". That
selection should be available (one of the letters (I don't know which
one) will be in white, while the others will be in blue). Next, select
the "Make Startable" selection. That's probably all there is to creating
the Boot Manager (I'm guessing here, because I cannot experiment with
FDISK on my system). However, you must make the selections for each
partition in a particular order. If a letter is not in white for a
particular choice, you cannot select it. Also, after you make a
selection for a particular partition, one or more other selections may
become available. Everything has to be selected in the correct order.

Next, create your C: partition, which is where you will install OS/2.
This partition must be <= 8GB. My C: partition is 8GB (= 8001 MBytes).
Steven uses a smaller partition (~500 MBytes). It's up to you. However,
8GB is the limit. If you try to go higher, you will not be able to
select the "Set Installable" choice for C:. And therefore, you will not
be able to install OS/2 on the C: partition.

Exit the menu (F3) after making your selections for the C: partition.
The C: partition line now will read that it is "Bootable". That is, your
"Set Installable" choice is the samething as making the partition
"Bootable".

Finally, make any other partitions after C:, if you desire. You can use
all, some or none of the remaining 5GB hard disk free space after
creating C:.

I'm sorry to say this, but I believe that svobi is not correct about the
Boot Manager. I could be wrong here, but the Boot Manager should be
startable, not installable. The information I am giving you is directly
from an FDISK screen, one that I brought up in an OS/2 command prompt. I
cycled through the selection menu and compared it to my resulting
partitions. The second diagram that I've drew, above, is almost
identical
to what I have on my FDISK screen (my Boot Manager and C: partitions are
identical to what's above; I have 2 other partitions, below, C:,
however, that are different).

In any case, I am pretty sure that you will not be able to make an
inappropriate selection. If the Boot Manager is supposed to be
"Startable" instead of "Installable", you will not be able to make the
"Installable" choice (and vise versa).

Hope this helps.

HCM

Return to [ 01 | July | 2002 ]