Return to [ 10 | May | 2002 ]

Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 04:54:35 PST7
From: Harry Chris Motin <hmotin@attglobal.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: LAN connection lost after use modem

The IRQ assignments are controlled by your BIOS and never the OS. The
only way that I've been able to change IRQ assignments is by switching
the various adapter boards around in the motherboard PCI slots. You
might try that.

Also, using the RESERVE.SYS line in the CONFIG.SYS is for hardware that
INSISTS on using a particular hardware resource, like a particular IRQ.
>From what I can tell, you do not have that problem on your system. From
your conversation you probably have all PCI-slotted hardware, which
probably all accept resource assignments from the BIOS.

The only other thing I can say is make sure your CONFIG.SYS line is
correct for the COM.SYS driver entry. You say that the modem works (sort
of) on COM3 and IRQ11. Yet when you earlier discovered that it was using
IRQ10 (using the DOS pmdmcfg utility), you added "(4,1800,10)" to your
CONFIG.SYS. I do not understand that. That's COM4, not COM3. Therefore,
I would say that, if your modem works on IRQ11, but not on IRQ10 with
the "(4,1800,10)" entry to your CONFIG.SYS, I would make sure that entry
is correct. Why did you switch from COM3 to COM4, when you switched from
IRQ10 to IRQ11????

Also, I would clean up your "Hardware Resource Manager" so that you do
not have to set it to "hardware detection OFF" to get your system to
boot. The problem is probably in your SNOOP.LST file. Assuming that your
OS resides on the C:\ drive, you will find SNOOP.LST under C:\OS2\BOOT.
The Hardware Manager uses this file to help it detect hardware. Probably
one or more entries in it is making the Hardware Manager lock up you
system. It's an ASCII file, therefore you can edit it. Make a copy of
it, first, before you do anything. Next, disable all entries concerning
hardware that you do not have on your system. You can do that by placing
a colon, ";", before that entry, or by removing the entry all together.
If that does not do the trick, disable other entries one by one until
you can boot your system under "full hardware detection".

On my system the entry for my Adaptec SCSI adapter was causing the
problem (I don't know why). I disabled the entry and my system now boots
with full use of the Hardware Manager.

While you are fooling around with the Hardware Manager, it will be a
pain to have to use the "ALT-F1 keys during the bootup to disable the
Hardware Manager full detection, if your system does not boot under
"full hardware detection" (because you have not found the problem in the
SNOOP.LST file). Sometimes my system would not respond to the "ALT-F1"
keys, but instead blew right past it and continued with the boot
process. What I did was make a copy of the "C:\OS2\BOOT\PREVIOUS.DAT"
file before I changed the Hardware Manager from no detection to full
detection. I stored that copy on a floppy diskette. This file stores the
configuration of the Hardware Manager. Therefore, if I had a problem at
bootup and could not use the "AFT-F1" keys, I would boot from my OS/2
bootable floppies and then restore the "C:\OS2\BOOT\PREVIOUS.DAT" file
to its original, the one with the Hardware Manager using no hardware
detection. You might try something like that while you are
troubleshooting (to help you out).

Good luck!
HCM

"Benedict G. Archer" wrote:

> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
> Harry Chris Motin wrote:
> >
> > "Benedict G. Archer" wrote:
> > >
> > > An actiontec PCI modem and onboard 3com NIC insisted on using the same
> > > IRQ. That was OK until I found that using the modem caused the LAN
> > > connection to be lost--can't ping the DHCP server. After trying lots of
> > > things, I finally got the NIC using IRQ11 and the modem to use IRQ10 (as
> > > determined by a DOS utility, pmdmcfg, that came with the modem) by
> > > adding a reserve.sys line to config.sys. If I set hardware detection to
> > > anything but off, the system won't boot. The pmdmcfg utility tells me
> > > that the modem is using IRQ 10 and address 1800. So, I added the
> > > explicit argument (4,1800,10) to the device = ... com.sys line to set up
> > > com4 for the modem. But I can't get the modem to work. Incharge (the
> > > only need I have for the modem) returns an error on trying to initialize
> > > the modem. Spent a lot of time trying different BIOS setups too, but
> > > nothing I've tried there has any effect. Where should I look? Is the
> > > problem in InCharge, in com configuration or somewhere else? It's an
> > > all SCSI system so there are spare IRQs.
> > >
> > > Ben A.
> > Ben,
> >
> > What driver are you using for the modem serial line and does the modem
> > share IRQ 10 with any other device? I had a problem getting my modem to
> > work about 2 years ago, after I got a new system. Steven Levine was kind
> > enough to point out that some versions of COM.SYS do not like to share
> > IRQ's. I updated to a newer version of IBM's COM.SYS and that did the
> > trick. I believe you can also use Ray Gwinn's SIO.SYS.
> >
> > HCMotin
> >
> Harry,
>
> I should have mentioned that I had tried com.sys that comes with eCS,
> com.sys for OS2 that came with the modem, and Sioecs drivers--all with
> similar results. With more empirical fiddling, I somehow caused the
> modem to want IRQ11 instead of IRQ10. The modem works (on com3), sort
> of, that is, it will dial, connect and transmit data, but on attempting
> to hang up, the system locks up requiring a power off or hard reset.
> IRQ11 is also used by both SCSI adaptors in the system. Could that be
> the reason for the lock up. When the modem was using IRQ10, which is
> also used by the NIC, using the modem would disable the NIC. What else
> can I try.
>
> Ben A.

Return to [ 10 | May | 2002 ]