Return to [ 01 | May | 2002 ]

Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 22:03:43 PST7
From: jack.huffman@worldnet.att.net
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: OS2 Maintenance Partititon

In , on 05/01/02
at 01:48 PM, "Steven Levine" said:

>If you are responding to someone asking for help who
>may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
>REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.

>In <20020501065230.HMAB2855.mtiwmhc25.worldnet.att.net@MYPC>, on 04/30/02

> at 10:52 PM, jack.huffman@worldnet.att.net said:

>>I don't have it and the Powerquest web site only offers downloads for
>>later versions. I suppose I could e-mail them and ask for the patch
>>file. They must still have it somewhere.

>You could do that, but I happen to remember where they keep them. :-)

> ftp://ftp.powerquest.com/pub/productupdates/partitionmagic/partitionmagic3

>I'm pretty sure this is the patch for the OS/2 version. If not, you've
>have to hunt some more are emial Powerquest for the correct location.

>>I did not know fdisk would handle a 20 GB drive. In fact I was under the

>It's not an fdisk issue as much as a driver issue. If the driver can
>support the drive, fdisk can support the drive. If you are booting DOS,
>then the driver is the BIOS, so the BIOS capabilities are the limiting
>factor.

>>something. I will read the command info to see if it makes me more
>>comfortable about using it.

>We can discuss this on the IRC Help Desk if you wish.

>>Doesn't the first of the two floppies boot to Caldera's open DOS? Or are
>>you assuming the program files are on the hard drive and the program is
>>run after booting to DOS with boot manager?

>As I mentioned above, if you are booted to DOS, the BIOS will limit what
>fdisk can do. If you boot from a set of updated OS/2 boot diskettes with
>drivers that support 20GB drives, then fdisk will work without problems.

>Steven

Steven,

Thanks for the Partition Magic URL. Since I received a patch attached to
an e-mail from Ray Davison, I may not need it.

My floppies to boot OS/2 were made from FP15 files. So I assume I have
the necessary drivers unless some of Daniella's are needed.

If you want a laugh, read the thread about my Drive Image problems. I was
trying to get a more recent backup, clean up the Unimaint and Injoy
problems on my current master disk as you recommended, and then do a
general clean up with Unimaint, chekini, etc., make another backup, and
then copy the cleaned up OS/2 to my new hard drive.

But I think now that I will Install the 15 gig hard drive to verify that
the bios on my 1997 FIC 2007 motherboard will handle it, copy the messed
up OS/2 partition and all other partitions to it, and do all of my cleanup
on the new drive.

My current drive is 2 gig and the bios assigned LBA to it. I am pretty
sure there is a bad spot on it because I remember a SYS screen accompanied
by some horrible noises.

Jack

Return to [ 01 | May | 2002 ]