Return to [ 12 | May | 2002 ]

Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 18:57:57 PST7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: IRQ Wars (2) -- Modem

In <3CDE1874.4719E5E1@gte.net>, on 05/11/02
at 11:20 PM, "Benedict G. Archer" said:

>The system is a Tyan Thunder dual Athlon, all SCSI, no ISA slots. The MB
>has two onboad NICs (I'm only using one which on boot up shows that it's
>currently using IRQ10, but doesn't show up in the Hardware manager nor in
>a rmview listing). The MB also has two onboard adaptec AIC160 SCSI

As stated often here and elsewhere, this is normal for NIC's. Just write
down the IRQ reported in the BIOS scan. If you really must see the port
and irq, any of the available PCI scanners (pci044vk.zip, Hobbes) will
give you a nice report.

>adaptors which do show up on both hardware manager and rmview using IRQs
>11 and 15. I'm only using one of these (for an IBM 36GB HD), I think the

If you are not using the 2nd NIC, why not disable it on the MB until you
get the modem issues resolved.

>IRQ11 and IO 1800. I was trying to set the modem to use com4 (Actiontec's
>suggestion), but it currently is using com3 (I don't know how or why it
>settled on com3). Harry's tip to rem out things in the snoop list fixed

com.sys (or equivalent) used com3 because it was available. As I
mentioned before, com3 is a logical entity. You can control with physical
port it's assigned to or let the driver decide.

>Latency Timer (default and 5 hex values 0020 to 00C0). All slots are set
>to enable, enable and default. Disabling Bus Master for the slot with
>the modem had no effect. I haven't found anything in the BIOS about pnp
>OSs.

Which is expected since you have no ISA slots. Some BIOS's have more
options to control the routing of PCI IRQ's (A-D) to ISA IRQ's (0-15) than
yours appears to have.

>My next step will be to study the SIO2k options to see what might be
>there. However, so far I haven't found how to add an explicit
>configuration to the SIO2k driver line in config.sys--everthing I've
>tried returns an error with the driver not loading. The syntax is
>different than for com.sys, but I don't even know which of the three
>SIO2k driver lines to put it on.

RTFM is always a good plan. sio2k uses a entirely new architecture and
set of command line parameters so it entirely reasonable that you could
not guess the correct values. Reading the install guide with the
surprising name of install.txt might help.

FWIW, I run with:

device=f:\sio2k\uart.sys logfile=f:\sio2k\sio2k.log
device=f:\sio2k\vsio2k.sys logfile=f:\sio2k\sio2k.log vIrqList(4)
device=f:\sio2k\vmodem.sys logfile=f:\sio2k\sio2k.log
device=f:\sio2k\sio2k.sys logfile=f:\sio2k\sio2k.log

Adjust the paths and drop the virqList(4) opiton which you don't need at
the moment and you should be closer to running.

The log will tell you what port and irq's sio2k has decided to use. It
may also tell you why the modem is having problems.

You might try swapping the load order of the drivers that are using irq
11. One of the drivers is clearly not playing nice when it comes to
swapping.

We should try a few more things and if the problem is still unresolved
then an email to Ray would be an obvious next step.

>Steven, As soon as I get this fixed and set up RSJ I'll start the octave
>porting project.

Humm, I guess I better help you get the modem running ASAP. :-)

Steven

Return to [ 12 | May | 2002 ]