Return to [ 02 | May | 2002 ]

Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 08:31:57 PST7
From: Ray Davison <raydav@charter.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: OS2 Maintenance Partititon

jack.huffman@worldnet.att.net wrote:

> Thanks for the Partition Magic URL. Since I received a patch attached to
> an e-mail from Ray Davison, I may not need it.

I got that patch a long time ago, I did not realize there is a whole
family of patches. Run whatever PM you have, go to HELP\ABOUT note the
version, and run the appropriate patch.

> But I think now that I will Install the 15 gig hard drive to verify that
> the bios on my 1997 FIC 2007 motherboard will handle it, copy the messed
> up OS/2 partition and all other partitions to it, and do all of my cleanup
> on the new drive.

I just put an 80G in a 1999 and a 20G in a 1998, both socket seven. The
98 BIOS cannot handle the 80G. I have not tried to get OS/2 to see what
the BIOS cannot, yet.

I have moved several HDDs lately and for the first time I used the copy
function in PM 3.05 to clone partitions from the old drive to the new.
Works fine. One gotcha - at least for me - the target must be unused
space; not just unfilled or unformatted but undefined. This is because
copy actually creates a new partition. It can be inside an extended
partition. It will be the same size as the source partition. You can
then resize it to suite.

I have used unzip to clone a ziped OS/2 boot partition to a different
drive.

Ray

Return to [ 02 | May | 2002 ]