Return to [ 23 | May | 2002 ]

Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 07:08:27 PST7
From: Steve Carter <scarter@vcnet.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: another ThinkPad question

On my 600E, the port replicator is called a SelectaBase 600
and performs two separate functions:

It's a stand-alone, unpowered, locking port replicator
and
is the _REQUIRED_ mating adapter for the Selecta Dock (III)
docking station.

It has a mechanical key-locking mechanism and all the ports, so you
could just leave it at work connected up to your work peripherals
and take your TP home to your second Selectabase connected to your
stationary home peripherals.

You can add a PC Card enabler to the port replicator, allowing more
PCMCIA/Cardbus cards to be connected there and thus not removed so often.

The ports on the back of the TP, which are blocked when mated to
the Selectabase 600, are available from the port replicator. It
even has the mouse/keyboard splitter built in.

IBM's terminology is confusing, and people often confuse Selecta Dock
and SelectaBase. The port replicator has no separate power. The
docking station holds one 5.25 inch device, has a SCSI card, takes
2 and a half PCI cards and has it's own power supply.

Since the 600 is now an obsolete product, I found these IBM accessories
on eBay very inexpensively early this year. I bought the 600E as an IBM
refurb direct from IBM at Christmas.

Aside:
The 600E is still a competent machine. 13.3 inch 1024x768x16m video,
PII-300/400 processor, 6-10GB HD, depending on model. I replaced the 6GB
HD with a 20GB. It will hold 544MB of RAM, contrary to some (even IBMs)
statements (needs the easy flash BIOS upgrade). I've got 352MB in mine.
The 600X is a PIII machine and faster still.

On 5/22/02, J. R. Fox wrote, in part:
>What exactly is the Port Replicator add-on, and does it replace or
>block access to anything ?
>
>Jordan

Return to [ 23 | May | 2002 ]