Return to [ 23 | May | 2002 ]

Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 09:37:06 PST7
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: Thinkpad info

Thanx to Sandy, Steve, & Gary, the initial respondents to my questions.

Steve Carter wrote:

> This is a good question also for the Thinkpad mail list:
>
> http://zurich.ai.mit.edu/hypermail/thinkpad/
>
> And they maintain a complete, searchable archive.
>
> A number of Thinkpad users on that list are OS/2 folks.

I'm sure that will prove a very useful resource, tho' not in time to influence this spot
decision. According to the guy I talked to at STI, the demand has been sufficiently great
on this special offer that orders placed later than tom'w. (Fri.) run a risk of not being
filled. (The vast majority of times you ever hear that from a salesperson, it is a
pressure tactic, and a good indication that you should walk away. But I don't think this
falls in that category.) Their package price does reflect a respectable discount, but it
is the "special build" of this T-23 package that makes it more interesting: enhanced
screen, larger hard drive, CD-burner / DV-reader, 256M RAM instead of 128. I don't know
if or when another offer like this may come along. Still, I'd like to have better info
regarding STI, before forking over that kind of scratch.

then, Sandy wrote:

> The service is impressive. . . . picked up the computer a day later, and returned it
> completely
> repaired two days after that. All was covered under the warranty.

Good to know that.

> I installed a PCMCIA network card from Linksys, which had OS/2 drivers
> that did not work. Steven found a driver for me that did work. If I had it
> to do over, I would get a 3Com pcmcia card with more reliable OS/2
> drivers.

This package comes with a 14.4 modem (o.k., so that's one place they come up
short), and some kind of a NIC. Supposedly, both of these can be replaced by
something better, and this can be done by the user. (I should probably find out
if such replacements affect the warranty.)

> I relplaced the 6 gig hard drive on each computer with a 20 gig IBM hard
> drive that I got from gogocity.com for about $100 each.

The included h/d is 20G. IDE, 7200 rpm, 7.1 ms. I don't know if they come much better
than that on laptops.

> I also got an extra battery that replaces the CD Rom drive, for about $20 at ubid.com.

I don't know about any "extra" battery (as in, at the same time, for enhanced running time
?), but you can have a spare battery for the T2x models, ready to be swapped in.

> I think the IBM web site has closeouts on older models at good prices. Be
> sure and get one that comes with the three year IBM warranty, wherever you
> buy it.

I'll check into that. Thanks.

Jordan

Return to [ 23 | May | 2002 ]