Return to [ 06 | October | 2002 ]

Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 02:06:51 PST7
From: "Info2SYNass.NET" <Info@SYNass.NET >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: New DaniS506 breaks IDE Secondary channel drive error reporting

Hi Peter
Thanks for your reply and its supplementary comments.
I will place my answers and commenst into your text below:

>> RC=65282 and it happens with DaniS506 version 1.5 as also
>> with version 1.51 installed just today !
>
> Yup -- rc=65282 is the error.

Well, so am not alone ;-)

>> after back-grading to DaniS506.ADD version 1.45 for the
>> IBM DTLA 75GB drive says: S.M.A.R.T. is not supported !
>
>Is the IBM DTLA 75GB on the Primary or Secondary channel? Is it
the
>Master or the Slave? Do you have anything on the IDE bus
besides hard
>drives (such as tape drive, CD-ROM, etc)?

My system has an ABIT KT7-Raid mobo with up to 4 IDE sockets !
Normally IDE 1 & 2 are available but UDMA66 only !
Enabling ATA100RAID in the mobo's BIOS it enables 2 more IDE
sockets:
IDE 3 & IDE 4 but UDMA100.

I did enable these 2 additional IDE sockets but not RAID since
it cannot be used with OS/2.

My present configuration:

IDE1 UDMA66 master HDD0 is the system only drive Quantum 7.5GB
IDE2 UDMA66 empty
IDE3 UDMA100 master HDD1 is the executables only drive DW 20GB
IDE3 UDMA100 slave HDD2 is the data only drive IBM DTLA 75GB
IDE4 UDMA100 empty

The Quantum drive can do UDMA66 only where the others can UDMA100.
That's my reason to the configuration shown above !?

>And a really stupid question (I'm in California and far enough
away that
>you can't hit me) -- did you remember to reboot after
backleveling
>DaniS506 to v145?

Hi, Peter, be careful ;-))
Verbal hits can be even more painful because
you get them written unforgettable black on white ;-((
There are NO stupid questions but answers can be very stupid !!

Well, Dani's installation does remember someone to reboot the
system before it gets working with the "newer" driver but first
time I faced a very curious behavior:
After backgrading from DaniS506.ADD version 1.51 to version 1.45
an d rebooting the system I still got presented the "Version
1.51"
on my screen ;-(

Once more I compared the files and copied version 1.45 manually
and with the next reboot I got displayed version 1.45 correctly
;-)
Well, now I do not get an error RC with the IBM drive anymore
but it does not show any values to interpret its condition ;-|

>Andrew has a new unreleased version of SmartMon which seems to
>fix/workaround the anomalies. I assume he'll put it on Hobbes
as soon
>as he finishes testing it. Email him directly and he'll
probably send
>it to you so you can test it too.
>
>> Well, I do not understand why the 2 smaller drives are
>> giving a display and the bigger IBM gives either an error
>> code (RC-65282) or the "non supported" message ;-((

>The problem appears to (at least sometimes) affect drives on the
>Secondary IDE channel but not the Primary IDE channel. Are your
two
>smaller drives on the Primary while your 75 GB is on the
Secondary?

Very curious !
With IDE1 & IDE 3 I am not using these "secondary" channels !?
Or is my interpretation like this wrong ??

I had another very curious experience:
To gain from the max speed of the channels and the drives I
tried to connect my executable drive as master on IDE3 and
wanted to connect my data driver to IDE4 but got system traps ;-((

To avoid any data losts with this working system I stopped
these experiments !

Another reason is:
I do have already 3 newer ABIT KT7A-Raid mobos to replace the
one mentioned above in my present system. Another will be fitted
in my new experimental system and the third one will be fitted
in a system replacing my wife's Compaq Deskpro EP 6/600.

All these systems will be built completely similar in all parts
beginning from Mobo, CPU, CPU Cooler, RAM, and all these types
of cards and HDD's. If my system migration will be finished I
do have to maintain one type of system only ;-))

With my system environment like this ...
... I will do my experiments with my testing system only and
do not touch my working system with cases like this DaniS506 and
SmartMON like now ;-)

Well, I better stop here. Have a nice Sunday
svobi

Return to [ 06 | October | 2002 ]