Return to [ 03 | October | 2002 ]

Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 23:33:43 PST7
From: waynec@linkline.com
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: MS Word stopped working...???

Steven Levine writes:

> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
> In <20021004014737.77723.qmail@courtney.linkline.com>, on 10/03/02
> at 05:48 PM, waynec@linkline.com said:
>
>>Tried adding a run=d:\os2\system\share.exe to my config.sys (config.sys
>>hasn't changed recently... I didn't know what else to do) but then got a
>>bootup error message saying it wasn't a valid program.
>
> That won't work because you can't run DOS programs directly with the RUN
> command. You might have been loading it from autoexec.bat, but usually
> that's not needed. Also, you didn't change any of this recently, so none
> of this is likely to be a solution.
>
>>Haven't made changes to my OS/2 system partition lately (actually, that
>>entire hard drive) although I have made some changes to my Win95 bootable
>> partition on a different hard drive. Another partition on that Win95
>
> Hidden or visible when Warp is booted? What's your Warp boot partition?
>
>>MS Excel and MS Access both seem to be working OK.
>
> Older Win3x programs used strange methods to find if share.exe was loaded.
> Some just looked for share.exe in the root of c:\ or in c:\dos. Others
> scanned autoexec.bat for a reference. If your WinXX C: drive is visible
> perhaps your recent maintenance changed something in this area.
>
> Steven

Wow, Steve, I thought you had hit it, but no dice.

Without going into excrutiating detail, the day before I experienced this
problem I had run out of room on the Win95 C: partition while trying to
import a browser bookmark file. I deleted some temporary and uneeded program
folders and moved the swap file but couldn't find much I could get rid of.
So, I played around with Partition Magic to change the partition size. I had
difficulty, because I started smack up against the 1gb limit for 16k
clusters, which required me to alter the cluster size, and I had very little
room to expand the partition (max of about 1.3gb). Somewhere in the midst of
my efforts I even tried converting the format to FAT32, which failed partway
through, so I converted back to FAT and upped the cluster size to 32k. It
worked, but I didn't gain much space since the 32k cluster size wastes more
space than 16k. On doing a scandisk after all that (using the Partition
Magic boot diskette), I had a LOT of "cross-index" errors which I allowed
scandisk to correct, and a too-long pathlength error which I still haven't
tracked down. You guessed it, I do not have a backup copy of the C:
partition taken before I did all that.

Win95 seems to operate fine, though, so far the only problem has been with
MS Word under winos2.

The C: drive (Win95 system partition) IS visible to Warp, but not very
useful since Warp can't handle the long filenames and extended attributes;
I've just ignored the C: partition when Warp is up.

Based on your comments, I looked for "share.exe" on the C: drive (none
found), then tried the following (rebooting OS\2 each time to test Word):

1. I copied share.exe from d:\os2\system to a FAT partition, then booted
Win95 and copied it to the root of C:

2. there is no C:\DOS folder but there is a C:\DOSFILES so I copied
share.exe there same way as in (1.)

3. placed "load D:\os2\system\share.exe" in Warp's autoexec.bat (BTW, the
path statement in autoexec.bat already included D:\os2\system and C:, in
that order)

4. tried "loadhigh append D:\os2\system\share.exe" in Warp's autoexec.bat

5. tried searching the Windows95 cdrom for share.exe, but again, the format
on it may not allow a successful search of files.

Same error message from Word (winos2) every time on startup:
"You must exit Windows and load SHARE.EXE in order to run Word"

Is there something in winos2 folders that's akin to autoexec.bat that might
need to be altered?

Word and Excel and Access (MS OfficePro97, a later release than I can use
with winos2) seem to be working fine in Win95, only Word under winos2 (MS
OfficePro 4.3) is not working.

Wayne

Return to [ 03 | October | 2002 ]