Return to [ 04 | October | 2002 ]

Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 19:19:59 PST7
From: Harry Chris Motin <hmotin@attglobal.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Update boot floppies ?

Peter,

If you are updating the utility diskettes, you can: 1.) use the OS/2
utility
to create the diskettes and then 2.) refine them with the
"Create Crash Recovery Boot" Diskettes utility from Back Again/2000
(BA2K).

The BA2K utility is really good. For example, the OS/2 utility will only
call out the IBM IDE drivers in the CONFIG.SYS, even though you are
using
Dani's drivers (say). The BA2K utility will notice that you are using
Dani's drivers and it will correct the entry in the CONFIG.SYS. That's
one example. The BA2K utility will correctly call out other drivers that
you are using on your system, replacing the standard callout from the
OS/2 utility.

One other thing, when you use the OS/2 utility, you can elect to have it
use some of the newer files from your hard drive, instead of files from
the OS/2 installation CD-ROM. If you do that, the diskettes pick up your
present OS/2 kernel, on your hard drive, instead of the one on the
installation CD. And there are other files that the diskette will pick
up from your hard drive. The only problem with selecting this option is
that the utility may stop in the middle of the diskette creation (on
Diskette # 1). The problem here is that it ran out of room on the
diskette and therefore could not complete the operation. The solution is
to choose a couple of the drivers that the utility placed on that disk,
ones that you do not use on your system, and temporarily replace them
with 0 size files. Therefore, the OS/2 utility will copy them to the
diskette as 0 size files and you will not use up any room for them.

For example, I choose the LMS206.ADD, QL10OS2.ADD, QL40OS2.ADD,
QL510.ADD, SONY31A.ADD and SONY535.ADD drivers (found in C:\OS2\BOOT). I
temporarily replace them with 0 size files on C:\OS2\BOOT. Then, when I
select the "newer files from the hard drive" option, the OS/2 utility
copies them to Diskette # 1 as 0 size files. It does not run out of room
and the utility creation goes to completion. Of course, I have to REM
out the lines in the CONFIG.SYS (again, on Diskette # 1) that refer to
these 0 size files, and therefore which are no longer functional.

Note, the OS/2 utility creates 4 diskettes, starting with Diskette # 0.

Perhaps the above is more than you wanted to know. The bottom line here
is that, if you are creating utility boot diskettes, you can get
enhanced results by:

1. Selecting the "use newer files on the hard drive" option in the OS/2
diskette utility

2. Using the BA2K crash recovery diskette utility on the diskettes you
created from the OS/2 utility

HCM

Steven Levine wrote:

> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
> In <3D9DA284.4740@peterskye.com>, on 10/04/02
> at 06:16 AM, Peter Skye said:
>
> >I'm updating my boot floppies. Is there anything I should change besides
> >using the latest IDEDASD (or DANI*) drivers? My hard drives are HPFS, no
> >LVM, and the biggest one is 120 GB. Some small SCSI stuff (9 GB hard
> >drive, CD-ROMs, tape drives).
>
> Are these utility diskettes or install diskettes? If they are install
> diskettes, did you start with the updated diskettes available from the OS
> DDPak site? For utility diskettes, I recommend diskettes created by
> BOOTOS2.
>
> >And can I take the SET COPYFROMFLOPPY=1 line out of my *hard* drive's
> >CONFIG.SYS file, or will that mess up something (like some utility's
> >creation of CONFIG.SYS files on new boot floppies)?
>
> You can delete it.
>
> >And is there a utility (LXLITE?) that will compress the drivers so you
> >can put more of them onto the floppy?
>
> No. Some of the DLL's can be lxlited, but not the drivers, TTBOMK.
> Better is to delete the drivers you don't need. This includes editing
> snoop.lst and deleting excess .snp's.
>
> Steven
>
> --

Return to [ 04 | October | 2002 ]