Return to [ 11 | October | 2002 ]

Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 19:24:06 PST7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: config.sys

In <200210111545.AMS87137@100m.mpr200-1.esr.lvcm.net>, on 10/11/02
at 07:48 AM, eyeleica@lvcm.com said:

>looking at the two editors in the system, Enhanced Editor and the os/2
>system editor. I pulled up config.sys for the c drive with EE and
>config.sys from the d drive with the system editor. The config.sys file=
>are entirely different! Is that correct? Should they be different in

I'll add my 2=A2 to the din. The correct shorthand name for the Enhanced=

Editor is EPM, not EE. I've mentioned before you need to be careful with=

your terminology. That remark still stands. When you make up terms as
you go, all that happens is that folks get confused and the message threa=
grows.

The reason the same file looks different is because you have word wrappin=
turned on in the System Editor. Use Options -> Word Wrap -> Off and the
file should look similar in both editors.

Others have made statements to the effect that EPM will not wrap
config.sys lines and E will. This is simply not true. Both E and EPM
will wrap lines depending on line lenght and depending on the settings.
The key is to understand how each editor does wrapping and to know how to=

control wrapping in each editor. With EPM it's Opions -> Preferences ->
Settings -> Margins -> Right Margin.

>I am thinking of going on with what I have and
>reinstalling the couple of programs I installed----warpzip and mozilla. =

>Mozilla was no problem reinstalling and updating.

If you really have only installed a couple of apps since the initial
install, that is probably the best way to go given that the config.sys
file you need for an full restore is gone, for some reason that will
probably remain unknown forever more.

My suggestion is write down a list of the applications to be installed an=
decide which way will take less work and which you are capable of doing
with your current level of computer expertise.

If you decide to try a restore, e-mail me copies of all the config.* file=
and I will build a working config.sys that will restore most if not all o=
what you had before you tried the RSJ install.

I will recommend you learn how to backup your Desktop before proceeding
much further. That way you will not be in such dire straits if an instal=
goes awry in the future or something bad just happens. Note I did not sa=
to take a Desktop backup. If you do that, you might not be able to use
the files saved in Current.

Steven

Return to [ 11 | October | 2002 ]