Return to [ 26 | September | 2002 ]

Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 18:39:14 PST7
From: Harry Chris Motin <hmotin@attglobal.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: uninstall of RSJ

Butch,

OK! I do not know where you go from here. I believe, however, that
Steven, svobi, myself and others are giving you basically the same
advise:

1. Understand as much as you can the effects of what you are going to
do, before you do it.

2. Make backups often. Backup critical files before you install
anything

3. Have an easy way to restore your backed up files, should anything go
wrong during an install (restore from a maintenance partition or restore
from utility boot diskettes)

Since you and Steven are a little disconnected about your plan of
attack, I do not know what you are going to do!

I believe that its still possible to restore your system to the way it
was before RSJ without much effort. All you need to do is either of 2
things:

A. Find the latest CONFIG.SYS file on your system before you tried
installing RSJ

B. Or, REM out the lines in the CONFIG.SYS file that you created as a
result of taking to RSJ Software and following their instructions. That
would be the CONFIG.SYS file that locks up your system. REM out the
offending lines, so that you system boots. By REM'ing the RSJ lines, you
essentially get back to the contents of your CONFIG.SYS file just prior
to when RSJ modified it for its install

When you install an OS/2 program, one which modifies the CONFIG.SYS,
many of them first save a copy of that file (under a new name) somewhere
before they modify it and your system . They store the file in different
places, depending on the program, and name it different things,
depending on the program. For example, if you install a SciTech Video
driver, it stores a copy of the CONFIG.SYS as CONFIG.SDD and on the boot
drive directory (C:\, for example), same spot as the CONFIG.SYS.

You could do a search for all the CONFIG.SYS files that were saved to
various places on your boot partition by all the programs that took the
precaution of saving first, before modifying and installing. If you
want to try this, use the program C:\OS2\APPS\PMSEEK.EXE (I assume your
boot partition is C:\; if it is not, look in "Your
Partition\OS2\APPS\PMSEEK.EXE"). Start the program and enter the search
string:

C:\CONFIG*.*

Again, I assume your system is on C:\. The program will find all
instances of the CONFIG.SYS file, saved by various programs you
installed, before the installation began. There cannot be TOO MANY of
them. Pick the one that is the latest in date, but before your first RSJ
installation attempt. That will get you back to the closest your system
was before you tried to install RSJ.

Once you get your system back to that working level, we can then install
RSJ the right way: 1.) first, saving all of the critical system files
before beginning; 2.) next, using the RSJ installation program; 3.)
next, manually modifying the resulting CONFIG.SYS file with the
information that RSJ Software gave you (the modification to the
BASEDEV=LOCKDR.FLT line); 4.) next, replacing your existing
c:\cdwfs\cddrv.inf file with the one that RSJ E-mailed you; 5.) finally,
rebooting your system

That should work! And if it does not, will will simply restore all your
saved system files to get your system back and then press on!

Steven Levine wrote:

> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
> In <200209261542.AKL58498@100m.mpr200-2.esr.lvcm.net>, on 09/26/02
> at 08:09 AM, eyeleica@lvcm.com said:
>
> >When I opted to use option 1 at command line reboot, I am told that
> >current files are saved in \os2\archives\current. I viewed the file to
> >find it empty.
>
> \os2\archives\current is a folder, not a file. The files you are looking
> for may be in a subfolder or they may be marked hidden. It's also
> possible nothing got saved. No piece of software is perfect, including
> Warp.
>
> >I ask, the programs I installed after
> >inititally setting up the system are gone and not saved in
> >\os2\archives\current ?
>
> The programs themselves are not gone, but certainly, the desktop objects
> and most of the settings related to the programs are gone. Computers do
> what you tell them to. You need to learn to go slower and ask questions
> first.
>
> Basically any changes made to the Desktop and the config.sys and
> autoexec.bat and startup.cmd are gone.
>
> >It is sometimes not easy to ask questions when the jargon
> >goes over one's head.
>
> Easy or not, you have to ask or you will continue to experience these
> kinds of problems. You need to first understand the terms. FWIW, the
> word jargon has negative connotations in my book. There are definitions
> of all the terms used here in the various online documents and in the
> books you bought. However, you can save yourself a lot of time just by
> asking questions rather than rolling the dice and just doing something.
>
> >It is very attractive to use, but requires constant
> >attention and detailed manipulation.
>
> My POV is very different. I have a box in front of me that has not had a
> full reinstalled since 1997. That is not my definition of constant
> attention. I simply use what I consider to be common-sense precautions to
> ensure that I don't get myself in a situation I can't get out of. Those
> precautions include know why, how and when to take backups along with
> knowing how to recover when you do have an install glitch.
>
> FWIW, I've also run across folks who have used their systems for years
> without any backups and have gotton on fine. Of course, I hear from them
> because something bad has happened, but the point is, it took them years
> to get to that bad place. Most of these systems are easily recovered with
> a checkini run or a bit of careful config.sys editing.
>
> Steven
>
> --

Return to [ 26 | September | 2002 ]