Return to [ 12 | September | 2002 ]

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:37:52 PST7
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: roll-your-own Mail Server

> > _outbound_ mail (such as
> > replies) will be rejected by many destination mail servers, because
> > your email address differs from that of the account holder for the
> > computer you are using, so it is assumed to be Spam. (But real
> > Spammers never seem to run afoul of this, so they must be using other
> > methods.) I'm just not very savvy about this stuff, but probably some
> > of you have a suggestion ?

Peter replied to me:

> This is the reason I run my own email server (for outbound email only, I
> still use my various ISPs for inbound email).
>
> Running your own outbound email server bypasses the ISP's server so your
> outbound email headers are never "checked".

Doesn't this require that you leave a computer running (at home) all the time, or at least while you are away
? This is something I probably would not be doing. As part of your account, most ISPs provide you with 5
meg. or so of personal space, usually in addition to the 5 meg. you are allotted for mail. I don't know what
that is sufficient for, or exactly what you can do with it (*), but even if you could fit your own Mail
Server into that space, I tend to think the ISP would frown on that usage. I suppose there is always the
option of basing the Personal Mail Server with a commercial web-hosting service, for a certain $$ outlay . .
. .

(* Another topic, but I think I would like to use that previously unused 5 meg. of account space for an FTP
server, where files could be sent or retrieved when I'm away. No idea how to arrange that, however.)

> You can try using a Reply-To line in the header if your email client
> allows it. Use your account name in From and the email address you want
> used in Reply-To.

I've always used the email client in Netscape -- out of sheer inertia, I admit -- but hope this will change
soon. I'll test this for NS / Mozilla, but my guess is that they won't cooperate.

Jordan

Return to [ 12 | September | 2002 ]