Return to [ 08 | April | 2003 ]

Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 13:10:09 PDT
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: PMSHELL CPU hog

In <3E931DF4.8000308@charter.net>, on 04/08/03
at 12:07 PM, Ray Davison said:

>I mean I don't have one that will give me a functioning WarpCenter.

One more thing you can try is to delete "WP ROOT. SF" from all drives.
This can get corrupted. The WPS will rebuild these, as needed.

>>>UpDateCD install says it can't find C:, one image has same problem. I
>>>unzipped a recent copy of the partition after formating.
>>>Maybe you munged the MBR while playing about with WinXX installs.

>I tried DFSEE NEWMBR. I have not seen any positive effect, yet.

Does UpDateCD require the partition to have the installable flag set?

>InfoZip of the partition plus copies of inis plus DeskSave. DeskSave
>does not "correct" a desktop, it creates new directories and objects
>resulting in a lot of duplicate objects but without the normal icons.

That's because a useful restore routine will delete the existing Desktop
tree and the associated .INIs and restore both from the backup. The
nature of things is that you can often get away without deleting the tree,
but to me, it's pennywise, especially, the first time a restore fails.

>With the empty tray, that was created because the OS said the old one
>was corrupted, the activity monitor was still pegged. System setup had

Keep in mind that when the WPS creates a new Desktop, it does not delete
all the remnants of the old Desktop. That is your job. Sometimes the
leftovers can cause problems.

You probably have gotten to the point where you have multiple Desktop
trees and multiple Nowhere directories.

>I had an AMD socket 7 that I could restore by; boot to
>floppy\format\unzip. Worked every time.

I'm not sure what this says. If you mean that backup image will restore
to different hardware and work, perhaps you do have a hardware problem,
but that's not a sure thing. The WPS can have lots of references to other
drives. Unless you restore every drive for a matching backup set, you are
mixing apples and oranges.

>OS/2 cannot see C drive, from HDD or floppy. DOS and W98SE boot from
>that drive.

This could be a driver issue. You might need an updated IDE driver.
OTOH, you might just have a corrupted BM setup and need to work on it with
fdisk or dfsee.

>Extended partitions sometimes become type F "spontaneously".

Come on. There's a reason for everything. It's either an SC or WinXX
feature.

Steven

Return to [ 08 | April | 2003 ]