Return to [ 11 | April | 2003 ]

Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 21:53:27 PDT
From: Ray Davison <raydav@charter.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Updating Mozilla, profiles

Regarding Mozilla profiles, I assume the concern is email. I have been
using Mozilla for email exclusively for about a month. It has taken me
about a year to get it to work. I have NEVER gotten a profile converted
from NS 4.61 to work completely. Hence, my advise, don't try. Create a
new profile and copy the email files from NS, that works fine, don't try
to copy them back.

How to get the directory structure you want:
Go to an HPFS partition X, NOT the boot partition.
Create MOZPROFILES and MOZTEMP, both off the root.
Put mozilla-os2.exe (install program) in MOZTEMP.
Add; "SET MOZILLA_HOME=X:\MOZPROFILES" to config.sys.
Boot.
Go to MOZTEMP and run mozilla-os2.exe. It will offer to install into
X:\MOZILLA. Say yes. During install select a profile name; MYPROFILE.
A subdirectory MYPROFILE will be created several layers below
MOZPROFILES. MYPROFILE will have MAIL, NEWS and CACHE subdirectorys.
If Mozilla is running, exit.
Delete X:\MOZILLA, yes I know you just created it.
Move MYPROFILE to wherever you want it, say X:\MOZPROFILE\MYPROFILE.
Leave MAIL, NEWS and CACHE in MYPROFILE or make copies of them somewhere
else - on HPFS. Only delete the originals after you get the new
locations to work.
Go to X:\MOZTEMP and run mozilla-os2.exe. Install will find
X:\MOZPROFILES\MYPROFILE and use it. You now have your profiles where
you want them.
Edit prefs.js to point to your new MAIL, NEWS and CACHE locations. When
you get that working delete the originals.

When a new mozilla is released, put it in X:\MOZTEMP, delete X:\MOZILLA,
goto X:\MOZTEMP, run mozilla-os2.exe.

If mozilla install does not create a folder and objects on the desktop
run mozfold.cmd. You can create them yourself but this does a very nice
job. I then move the folder off the desktop to connections.

Ray

Return to [ 11 | April | 2003 ]