Return to [ 01 | April | 2003 ]

Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 12:04:01 PST8
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Fresh vs. Fixpak (was: installation diskettes)

In <3E89DEDC.59A9@peterskye.com>, on 04/01/03
at 10:47 AM, Peter Skye said:

>least once a day. When I have to restore the INI files I don't bother
>with the DOCK* files or the Desktop files, which makes Mr. Know It All's
>hair stand on end but it works here.

Which hair?

FWIW, it depends on how you define work. Unless you add and delete a lot
of folders you probably won't notice the difference. Unimaint will clean
up the inconsistencies.

>I've never tried eCS. Someone told me that they changed the OS/2
>directory structure a bit so things aren't in the same place any more,
>but I've never verified that.

Not really. There were changes to the Desktop structure. The reason that
installing over an existing setup is not supported is because there is a
lack of resources to do the testing and implement the inevitable special
case logic to make it work reliably.

>-- would require that all of the shadows I've carefully placed in my
>WarpCenter toolbar would have to be redone. There's probably some Rexx
>code that can recreate my WarpCenter toolbar but I've never investigated
>what it is.

There are tools that will save this stuff. Program Objects are easy to
save and restore individually.

For me, the real problem with a fresh install is all the application
specific configuration data that lives on the boot drive but that not part
of the Desktop per se. This includes Feature Installer settings, Software
Installer settings, Open32 registry settings and on and on. I know how to
save and restore most of this, but it's not for the faint of heart.

>Somewhere on Hobbes is a program (can't remember its name) that extracts
>an INI file's info and puts it in a text file (in hex format when
>necessary) and can also rewrite the info back to the INI file. Some
>smart guy could write a program (or a long FIND /V filter) that would

I really don't think this a short path to a solution. IAC, since you have
Unimaint, you already have the tools you need. Unimaint has a portable
restore. It can merge your prior Desktop with a new Desktop as long as
you don't run up again a showstopper defect. The copy of Object Desktop
included in the Application Sampler has all the functionality needed to
save and restore objects across fresh installs. This can act as an
adjunct to the Unimaint restore. I use OD regularly to transport Program
Objects between systems.

I pretty sure I can use some combination of Unimaint, OD and file copying
to merge an existing Desktop into a fresh install. It just that I know it
will take more time than I'm willing to devote to it yet. I'll probably
do it for eCS 1.1.

Steven

Return to [ 01 | April | 2003 ]