Return to [ 13 | April | 2003 ]

Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 22:28:38 PDT
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Manual repair of CheckINI errors ?

In <3E9A3271.1FEB@peterskye.com>, on 04/13/03
at 09:01 PM, Peter Skye said:

>How would a mere mortal, such as I, know that? Besides, PMSEEK gives
>me a chance to go do something else since it ties up the system pretty
>good.

Well you could read some of the manuals that came with the software you
bought.

>Wrong about what? I don't yet know what they are.

I found it interesting that since you didn't know what they were you
concluded that they were not key values.

>Henk's checkini.txt
>has neither a description nor a reference where somebody could find out.

True. It's a user's guide to the utility. Actually, Henk always claimed
that while he understood how to fix the WPS .INI data, he did not know
that much about the WPS internals. I always figured he was just being
modest.

>Those of us who are mere mortals don't know that. :))

Mortals that read some of the manuals that came with the software they
bought would.

>That doesn't fix them. I've run CheckINI a number of times over the past
>few months and the errors are still there. (UniMaint Repair doesn't show
>them.) I can fix these errors by manually deleting these four Object
>Handles, yes?

If you can delete them. I don't quite understand why CheckINI can't.

>Besides, as of last week I can't run CheckINI any more. "checkini /c"
>hangs the entire system.

Oh well, One too many restores without restoring the Desktop tree at the
same time.

>finally got CheckINI to work -- I think a UniMaint Repair finally fixed
>it, but that doesn't have any effect right now. Until I installed
>UniMaint and ran a Repair, for about a year I couldn't run checkini.

I've seen that with both CheckIni and Unimaint. If the INIs are too far
gone the utilities can get confused. When that happens, you just have to
hunt and peck until you find the right combination of deletes and changes.

>When I tested my system file zipper-upper a week ago by restoring the
>files (including the Templates\ subdirectory) to my test partition and
>then deleting the unzipped files, I apparently did something to OS2.INI
>and checkini now gives me "the big hang" (the clock stops) while
>processing my boot drive.

I can imagine this happening if you unzipped via the Drives folder. Since
Unimaint is working and you were playing with the Templates directory, you
might try deleting anything that looks like trash in
PM_Workplace:Templates. If that's not sufficient, try deleting 1/2 of
what's left until the problem goes away. A few iterations of this should
find the bad bay.

Steven

Return to [ 13 | April | 2003 ]