Return to [ 16 | April | 2003 ]

Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 12:44:59 PDT
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: BAII

> >I emailed this info to tech support but have not heard anything from
> >them. Since they usually reply promptly, I guess they are overloaded or
> >stumped.

Steven replied:

> They might be a bit busy with support for the new version. v3.0 has been
> out of support for a while, but they probably will reply eventually.

Am I the only one who thinks the user interface for v. 4.0 is much worse than that
of prior versions ? It seems spartan, offering a lot less by way of configuration and
control.

To be honest here, I have only tried out v. 4.0 in their Win-32 w/s product. I have
v. 3.0 Server for OS/2, which I bought for the ECS partition, but never got around
to installing. I've used several of their earlier OS/2 versions, and still have a couple
of them installed. Though I have upgraded steadily until now, I remain to be
convinced there is any compelling reason to upgrade beyond v. 3.0 . . . and maybe
not even that far. All of their versions (I can't include 4 in this, yet), have bombed
out on me mysteriously at one time or another, with terse, cryptic, and quite useless
error messages. BAII does not appear to offer an automatic COMPARE After Backup
setting, and the program was never smart enough to skip over the few files that
*obviously* change during backup because they are in use, or to at least minimize
their significance for reporting purposes. None of these failings existed in
BACKMASTER, which I always found more reliable and continue to use.

Jordan

Return to [ 16 | April | 2003 ]