Return to [ 09 | April | 2003 ]

Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 09:46:49 PDT
From: Peter Skye <pskye@peterskye.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: system backup zip suggestions ?

Steven Levine wrote:

> There's no way to get zip to store an absolute path.
> That's why restore scripts use the -d option.

Aha! Okay, thanks.

The relative file paths are stored (unzip -l shows them) so I should be
able to restore everything as a single tree.

But this fails:

unzip -d C:\ BACKUP.ZIP

The following works but I have to set C: to the root directory first:

unzip -d C: BACKUP.ZIP

Apparently UNZIP doesn't allow absolute paths either.

> Here's the guts of what Unimaint does for backup:

Hmm, pretty much what I had except UniMaint uses the "-j junk (don't
record) directory names" option and doesn't save CONFIG.SYS.

> I also use the [UniMaint] Supplemental Backup to save a
> variety of other configuration files. Most of these don't
> change all that often, but I find it convenient to have
> them local rather than on tape if I happen to need on.
> This backup handles config.sys, startup.cmd, setup.cmd and
> so on.

UniMaint does a lot but it's not easy to use. I've never tried the
Supplemental Backup so I just clicked on it. Here's the error message:

The Supplemental Backup CMD File could not be built
There are no Supplemental Files Defined.
Use the Select Supplemental Files entry and then try again.

So I went to the Sup Files entry. Yes it does CONFIG.SYS and
STARTUP.CMD. No it doesn't come with SETUP.CMD (\MPTN\BIN\) by default
-- you apparently, and wisely, added it yourself. The other files are
AUTOEXEC.BAT and some (but not all) of the \OS2\MDOS\WINOS2\*.INI files.

Why UniMaint thinks there aren't any "supplemental" files defined is
beyond me. Why UniMaint doesn't keep all the files in a single backup
is beyond me. Why UniMaint didn't come with \OS2\MDOS\WINOS2\*.INI
specified in the supplemental backup so it would capture all the INI
files is beyond me.

But, Steven, good thinking on the STARTUP.CMD and SETUP.CMD files. I've
added them to my own backup.

> For me, Unimaint has only one claim to fame in the area
> of Desktop backups. I've never had a restore fail. YMMV.

I'm doing the same thing as UniMaint -- zipping up the files -- so my
backup should be as successful as yours. Perhaps I'll start saving
several generations of the backups, as UniMaint does.

Thanks again. Steven and Ray, you've both greatly helped me with this
project.

- Peter

Return to [ 09 | April | 2003 ]