Return to [ 13 | April | 2003 ]

Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 12:47:26 PDT
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: Pretty basic question on backing up a drive...?

Martin wrote:

> How can I backup an entire drive (XCOPY *.* /S) to a CD and keep the
> EAs? I have RSJ 5.1, BA2K, EAUTIL.EXE. I don't know exactly what to do,
> especially the syntax for EAUTIL.

I don't really use CDs for backup in this way. That being said, I can paint in at least
the broad strokes for you here. It may have been discussed previously on the List,
but due to the way CD storage works (probably the CD file-system itself), you can't
have your files EAs -- which are essential to OS/2 for many types of files and less
critical for others -- *directly* recorded on the CD, in the sense that they are
_bound_ to their respective files as they are in your OS/2 partitions. (This leads me
to wonder *how* we can have such a thing as a bootable OS/2 CD at all, but evidently
we can, so I leave that for someone else to explain.)

What you can do is to record the EAs to CD *separately*, via a utility like the one
you mentioned, which sounds much like a util. of similar name in the Graham set.
That set also has an EARESTOR utility, which can be used to Re-Bind the EAs back
to their constituent files. That should be able to complete a Restore process from CD.
(Tape does not have this multi-step issue, simce it can backup all the files with their
EAs still bound.) Since BA2K has offered other-than-tape media options for quite
some time, including CDs, I'm guessing that it has ways of automating and streamlining
this procedure, so that it is transparent to the user.

RSJ works by first creating a phantom-drive image of the CD you are making, in its
assigned disk cache location. By default, this is designated as Z: For example, my
RSJ Z-drive is actually written to K:\Temp , where I have set aside a constant minimum
of at least 800M free space. If you are recording on 700M (80 min.) CDs, and recording
at 8x speed or faster, you want to have at least that much free space available for this
CD-creation space. Where it says "Hard Disk Cache" in your CD-Writer Control
panel, you would have the location of your cache, 700,000 Kb space, and I have 12,048 kb
for the memory cache, which is the largest value it would let me input. Then, when
you Attach your CD in RSJ (which makes "Z:" available to you), you can write to it with
your file mgr. (I use Z-Tree Bold), or manually with Xcopy, as if writing to any other
destination. When you've created your EA "holding file" with that util. or those in
the Graham set, copy that one over to "Z:" as well, probably into the Root. If you are
using a file mgr. program, you can easily inspect or edit the CD image, prior to burning
--
perhaps you have reason to eliminate or rename a few items. When I remember to do so,
I try to change the Volume Name of "Z:" to something appropriate, which then becomes

"Z:" goes away once the CD has been burned.

It's a good idea to check the finished CD, maybe even compare some files at random with
the source. On the most critical CDs, I may use Roman Stangl's XCOMP to check every
file in every sub-dir recursively against the sourcefile . . . although this
unfortunately
takes quite a while to run. On a few occasions, it was worth the trouble, since I found
a few files that *should have* matched but did not. In that case, hopefully they were
non-essential files, or else I might have to re-do the CD.

Hope this has been of some use to you.

Jordan

Return to [ 13 | April | 2003 ]