Return to [ 25 | August | 2003 ]

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:03:13 PDT7
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: Far Out Warp

The answer to this question will have some near-term importance to me.
What is the farthest out you have successfully installed eCS 1.1 on one of
today's larger hard drives (herein defined by me as 73G. or larger) ? SCSI
examples are preferred, but I'll take whatever reports I can get.

I can tell you that, on my last system revision, Tony and I utterly failed to
get eCS 1.0 onto drive L of an 18G. boot drive. This would have been a
2G. partition starting at around the 10.2G mark. We had some vague assertions
from Kim about the (then) latest iteration of Boot Mgr., and some murky
theoreticals from Steven about using a Testcase kernel, but nothing we tried
could un-gray-out the necessary options for accomplishment of this install to
the desired location. In the end, we had to install eCS on H/D #2. So, I'm
wondering if anything has changed in this regard for eCS 1.1 and the current
iteration of Boot Mgr. ?

The point of comparison I can make here is that it took jumping through a
couple hoops to put W2K out some distance on the H/D. It has its main partition
(J:) starting at the 8.2G mark, and a 2nd. N: (maintenance) W2K starting at the 14.2G
mark. To have this work, it was necessary to park some very specific boot code -- for
each of these -- at the start of C:, which had to be DOS / FAT-16. This allows the NT
loader to find its targets and boot them. I don't know exactly what the distance limits
are there, but believe that some exist. OS/2 | eCS seems to accomplish the same thing
via Boot Mgr., but there is probably some distance limit there as well.

Would the answer to the above question be any different for, say, Warp 4 @ FP-12 ?

As hard drives get larger, this will become more of an issue.

Jordan

Return to [ 25 | August | 2003 ]