Return to [ 31 | August | 2003 ]

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 10:57:16 PDT7
From: Steve Carter <scarter@vcnet.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: What SCSI adapter to choose !?

On 8/30/03, Steven Levine wrote, in part:
> On 08/30/03, "Svobi" said:
>>However I do not use faster units at the moment,
>>my intention is / was to keep the option for any future changes ;-)
>
>When doing this planning, keep in mind what might change and what might
>not. U160 is now considered older technology. Most anything you purchase
>in that range will be surplus or used. Of course, if you have no time to
>shop, you can always find some place to purchase new at full price,
>but I assume you are not planning on doing this.

For workstation use, the Sustained Transfer Rates of even multiple HDs
are well within 160MB/sec. U160 is a now "sweet spot" in the market.
U160 HAs are more competent than the previous generation, Ultra2,
and are half the cost of U320 HAs which may not work on a workstation
PCI bus. U160 drives are a lot less expensive on the surplus/used
market, much more in keeping with my budget. If you find a good deal
someday on a U320 drive, it will run just fine on a U160 bus. If you're
making a server and have a deep pocketbook, then none if this applies.

>>From your mentioned types, I would keep along the Adaptec or the LSi types.
>>Another source has suggested the (hard to find) LSi 21003 ;-))
>>Since I am reconsidering I never discovered one ;-(
>
>The model is not all that important.
>What matters most is that the available connectors meet your needs....

The different connectors were listed, model-by-model in my previous post.
See which of them most closely meets your requirements, both today and
projected into the foreseeable future. I need both SE compatibility
for my older 50-pin SCSI devices and Ultra160 for my U160 10Krpm hard drive.
Your requirements will be different.

>>My mobo isn't quite old but how do I recognize
>>or differ a 32-bit PCI to a 64-bit one ??
>The 64-bit connector is longer than the 32-bit connectors you are used to.

Most workstation MBs today still have 32-bit PCI connectors.
High-end, dual processor MBs intended for server use will often have
64-bit PCI connectors. It is extremely unlikely that your MB
has a 64-bit PCI connectors unless you paid hundreds of dollars for it.

That said, it is almost a certainty that 64-bit PCI will work its way
down into workstation MBs as bandwidth requirements inevitably increase.
The 64-bit PCI connector is a logical extension of 32-bit PCI and
has an extension behind (away from the bracket-end of) the 32-bit connector.
The extension is less than half-as-long as the 32-bit PCI portion itself.
It is well shown in the documentation of the LSI Logic HAs, and others.

To fit a 64-bit PCI card on your 32-bit MB, you must have clearance
for the 64-bit card-edge section to project downward behind the
32-bit PCI connector once the card is installed. Not all MBs have
clearance in this area for every slot. And you'll need a bus-master
slot. Most modern MBs have plenty of bus-master slots, but some
older MBs have bus-master slots only at the AGP end.

--Steve

Return to [ 31 | August | 2003 ]