Return to [ 31 | August | 2003 ]

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:04:53 PDT7
From: Michael Rakijas <mrakijas@oco.net >
To: scoug-help <scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Java 1.1.8 kludging (was: Anyone instant message?)

** Reply to message from "Steven Levine" on Thu, 28 Aug
2003 00:41:15 PDT7

> In <200308272120309.SM02328@host-66-81-199-196.rev.o1.com>, on 08/27/03
> at 09:19 PM, Michael Rakijas said:
>
> >This appears to be the base installation of 1.4.2 using (TTBOMK) the Win
> >implementation of 1.4.2 Java with some Odin-derived helpers to allow it
> >to run on OS/2. Unless you're saying the libraries included in the
> >Innotek portion of the download includes the files you need to shuffle
> >and deal out ... but how to figure out which where?
>
> It not exactly clear what the heck the two of you are talking about,
> but...
>
> The Innotek Java is exactly what you suspect it is. Innotek calls the
> "helpers" a CustomBuild. I think of it as more of a wrapper than a
> helper. Sort of like an application specific version of pe.exe and a
> supporting DLL.

Sounds like you know exactly what we're talking about. It just didn't seem
like Peter knew exactly what it was he did to patch his Java. Helpers or
wrapper - it becomes a bit of sematic nit picking IMHO. I liken it to the old
DOS extender technology. I would have called the latter a helper rather than a
wrapper but I wouldn't be stubborn about it. In any case, I agree that it
looked like an application specific rendition of pe (I would have said Odin) but
I don't know what was included or excluded to say how app-specific it was. For
all I know, it might have been Odin outright.

> What you probably need for Java 1.1.8 is the swing library addon. These
> are standard in newer versions of Java. If this is what you need, it's at
> Hobbes:
>
> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/java/dev/swing1_1_1.zip

This would make sense and from Peter's subsequent e-mail, it looks like this is
what it is.

> Install the zip as is to \Java11\lib and add a reference to CLASSPATH so
> that Java can find it.

Thanks.

> Steen

-Roky :-)